Archinect
anchor

NY/NYC Job Market

Paradox

How is everybody doing in NY? Layoffs? New jobs?

Nov 24, 09 3:33 pm
zen maker

:(
i see less people in manhattan..... a lot less........

Nov 24, 09 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

i think new york finally sleeps after 6pm....

Nov 24, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
metal

a big firm laid off about 10 more people the other day, after over 30 were let go a few week ago.. bad times, bad times

Nov 24, 09 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

NYC still has more opportunities than other cities in the US. There is a lot of competition as well. With so many unemployed or under employed architects/designers in the city, I would stay away if possible.....unless you're a ringer! If you can blow the competition away, then I would say give it a shot. Some firms won't hire applicants from outside NYC. Some will.

I moved to NYC in 2006. I started working for a start up firm and I was their first employee. Within two years, we grew to 14 designers (16 if you include the accountant and office manager). Now they have 3 principals, 2 employees and the accountant.

It's rough out there.

Nov 25, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
outthere

yup ..cant say my firm is doing to well either ..right now i know they can easily do without me ..so im greatful to have a job until hopefully atleast after the holidays

Nov 28, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
odee

Got hired at a mid-size firm two months ago now, we seem to be doing well and staying busy. Jobs are out there you just have to be absolutely vigilant to get one.

Nov 29, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

I got six-month gig with a great small firm that will turn into a full-time position if the office remains busy.

It seems like allot of small firms are very busy and may be on the brink of beginning to hire staff again.

If nothing else, NYC has plenty of good things to keep unemployed architects busy while looking for work.

Nov 30, 09 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

mixed bag. some of the bigger firms (like my own) are still sinking, and shrinking....and cutting salaries, etc. but some of the firms that either a) cut drastically in '08 (and wisely) or b) are smaller and more flexible have been tentatively hiring. that said, there are zillions of unemployed architects walking the streets of NYC, so the competition for a job is probably insanely tough. a lot of firms are going to first try to hire back anyone they laid off....since most of those people haven't found new positions yet! i would not move here unemployed....unless you have a lot of cash in your pocket.

Dec 1, 09 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

That story about firms hiring people back that they laid off is a myth. I've heard it over and over and never actually seen it happen or know of anyone who got hired back. Some firms are very clear about having no intentions to hire the same people back. With all that said, you might as well give new york a try. Although there are many new york architects out of work, the market here is better than other places in the country and it will come back first.

Dec 2, 09 2:25 am  · 
 · 
atsama

re: hiring ppl back - my firm has already hired a few ppl back on a contract, project-specific basis. of course that is not the same as an actual position, but so far no one can find a new job....so its better than nothing...

Dec 8, 09 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: