Archinect
anchor

Unemployment question

webtearout

Does anyone know if you can go on unemployment even if you quit your job? I quit working 2 years ago to go back to school, and now that I have returned to a terrible job market, that may be the only option.

Nov 23, 09 12:18 pm
zen maker

not sure, but in NY they measure how much you can get for unemployment by last quarterly earnings. I don't think they go 2 years back, but you can try, its all computerized now, so there is no reason why not to try.

Nov 23, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
webtearout

Interesting,
Thanks zen maker

Nov 23, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

each state has their own laws and regulations, but typically you have to be either fired or laid off to draw unemployment... even if you're fired it also depends upon the circumstances of your termination... unfortunately, having not worked in 2 years, you're probably out of luck.

Nov 23, 09 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
babs

Unemployment's not generally designed to support people who make a discretionary decision to be unemployed. The taxpayers who fund unemployment tend to look askance at such situations.

Nov 24, 09 8:53 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thank you for that, babs.

I think what people go on when they choose not to work is welfare, right? Please don't read welfare as a dirty word; I'm not trying to imply that anyone who truly can't get a job is some kind of abuser of the system, but that there are two different safety nets for two different conditions.

Nov 24, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

webtearout, I didn't quite read your post correctly, but it's still a valid question for people who graduated last May but can't find a job: are you getting unemployment? or are you getting some other kind of assistance, such as welfare?

Nov 24, 09 8:59 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Claiming unemployment insurance in your situation could be considered fraud since A) you left your job voluntarily and B) it has been two years since you worked at said job. Zen Maker is right that it's all online these days and you *might* be able to collect something. That said, if that works your are one good audit away from having to pay it all back. My suggestion is to find a job doing anything that pays and quit trying to get a free lunch.

Nov 24, 09 9:02 am  · 
 · 
webtearout

Free lunch? I couldn't even get a job cleaning in a restaurant! Good luck with your job search, aquapura!

Nov 24, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

i graduated in may...can't get unemployment (even though i _was_ working a work study job). i, however, can get food stamps, which seriously have saved my butt these past few months ($9 in the bank, anyone? already crashing for very little rent at friends'). however, dhfs is so disorganized that when i tried to call my case worker and tell him that i have a temp job that pays me just above the cut off so i am no longer eligible. but he never calls me back/doesn't cut off my nov benefits!

then i get a letter in the mail that my case has been transferred to another center and don't try to contact anyone until after nov 30th. so looks like their disorganization means another month of food money for me. which is still very helpful given 1)loans 2) medical expenses 3) trying to save up for a security deposit so i can rent my own place.

am more worried about the health insurance situation since i'm basically not insurable, once my school insurance extension runs out in feb, well, i'm f*d. have yet to be able to figure out how to qualify for the state's high risk pool/some sort of public program that's not medicaid.

Nov 24, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
babs

psdo: have you asked your university if you would be eligible for COBRA coverage tied to your work study job? While COBRA won't necessarily work for you as a student, as an employee of the university it may be possible for you to extend your health insurance in that manner while you search for new employment.

good luck.

Nov 24, 09 11:34 am  · 
 · 
poop876

My friend just recently ran out of his unemployment insurance which is based on previous quarters and not years. Apparently he didn't work long enough to qualify. He did go to school and worked for the school but the unemployment office does not take that into account. From what he says you always get a different answer depending on who you talk to. You should probably go to one of those offices and ask!

Nov 24, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
webtearout

Thank you poop876

Nov 24, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Just need to survive until the new year, then things will start to get better. Year 2009 has been a very tough year for everybody, we need to welcome 2010 as a new beginning!

Nov 24, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
webtearout

Zen Maker, you are right.

Nov 24, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: