Archinect
anchor

wall paper or paint?

cmrhm

I need to decorate my client's bed room and living rm. They are not sure whether to use wall paper or paint. Me neither? I basically want to know what is the major disadvantage of using wall paper and paint?

What is your suggestion?

Nov 23, 09 10:55 am
liberty bell

You'll need to be more specific. I can tell you, for example, not to use hand-painted rice paper wall covering in a bathroom with a shower, because the high humidity will ruin it. But I can't give you a general "X is good, Y is bad" answer for all rooms without knowing the situation.

What do your clients want? Pattern? Texture? We have been using lots of crazy cool wallpapers recently. They aren't cheap, but are very popular right now. Do you know a good installer? Because that can make or break the installation, as can a good/bad painter.

I do think wallpaper is going to be like faux painting - very popular for a few years then everyone living with it will get sick of it. A simple paint color can be counted on to stay current for longer. But then, most rooms need to be repainted/covered far more often than most of us do it.

Nov 23, 09 11:22 am  · 
 · 
randomized

via http://www.surrealien.de/

Nov 23, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thanks liberty bell.

This client is in china. Here is the background information for the house: house is in semi-tropical area. the exterior wall material is cast in palce concrete. the interior finish for the wall is plaster.

The client is a couple of architects with successful business in china. I think the husband like wall paper but the his wife like stable and high quality paint.

I think here is the basic principle I will pursue:
BR, LR: wall paper/ paint
kitchen,bathroom: wall paper.

what happened to the plaster wall if the previous wall paper need to be torn down? Any damages?

You just reminded me that I need to ask them to remodel their kichen and bathroom with marble.

Nov 23, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

randomized, not bad.

Nov 23, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My personal preference, for a true plaster wall, is to paint. Assuming, of course, that your plasterer is skilled and the finish is as lovely as true plaster can be. And that your painter doesn't glob it on and ruin the plasterwork.

You can always do one accent wall with paper - a big, bold, trendy print that they can change easily when they tire of it. Or do the wallpaper under a wainscot rail, so only part of the wall is covered.

Do they have a lot of 2d art that they'll hang on walls? You'll probably want a more repetitive pattern if so - one that will read as a field over which the art hangs.

randomized I love that image. Reminds me of this.

Nov 23, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Loudernet

Accent wallpaper walls are a way to save some of the cost on wallpaper while still giving the room a designer look when combined with paint.

We have been doing allot of these lately in Chicago.

http://chicagowallpaper.net

Nov 23, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

oh. L. Bell. That is wonderful picture. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 23, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

to take down previous wallpaper use TSP or Dif and warm water. you will most likely want to have a new plaster skimcoat and then sand smooth if you are going to paint the walls.

Nov 23, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

bathroom and trim use enamel paint...

everything else use latex.....

Nov 23, 09 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: