Archinect
anchor

Piracy in firms....

All Blacks!

Ten years ago, I started out my career with an A/E firm drating under the wings of a seasoned PE. For a particular project, we developed a manufacturing process which lowered cost across the board.

Once pre-fabrication began we were invited to take a tour of the fabrication facilities to see first hand how our vision was implemented. When we arrived at the facility, a second invited tour group from China was present.

Before entering the shop, the company's president explained that any electronic and or recording devices were not allowed inside. So everyone emptied their digital cameras, camcorders, cell phones and such. Proceeding with the tour the president repeatedly had to stop the Chinese from taking photographs and then re-confiscated their electronic equipment. First thought, maybe a language translation issue. Later, a Chinese man was sighted away from the group sketching a manual mop bucket on his arm.

This is my personal experience. Does anyone else have something to share? I realize piracy is a much bigger problem than 'sketching mop buckets' but geez...come on!

Nov 11, 09 8:50 pm
loulou

Yes, in my graduate school , we had a visit to a famous office and we were invited to see unpublished work, some of it competition work...
Before we entered the office, we were told not to take any picture or recording.
As soon as we were inside, my chinese classmates whipped out their cameras and took as many pictures as they could before the person conducting the tour came to speak to us.They said that some fo the work was very delicate and that it should not come out yet, because it belonged to competition entries or to owners who did not want their projects widely disclosed.

Then someone that saw what happened came over and requested that all pictures be deleted, but then again, when said person left, the group of students continued taking picture of all the work.

I was embarrassed and felt bad for their disregard ...

no exaggerations...each and everyone of them did the same... *.*???

this was my first of several similar experiences during my graduate studies with them , maybe is a language thing, maybe they have a need to record everything??

Nov 11, 09 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Is this the Piracy in Firms... thread or the Chinese and Digital Cameras... thread?

Nov 12, 09 7:29 am  · 
 · 
randomized

as the stories above indicate, the thread should be renamed as Piracy in Firms by the Chinese and their Digital Cameras.

Nov 12, 09 9:30 am  · 
 · 
trace™

have you seen the Nike's on ebay!? No piracy laws over there.

Nov 12, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

I was hoping this thread would be about *pirates* in firms: "yaaaarr!! gimme dem drawin's ya scurvy cad monkey!!"

Anyway... my Chinese classmates were much more polite than the descriptions above. I don't remember any kind of sneaky camera bullshit.

Nov 12, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: