Archinect
anchor

Transparency in Stairs

zonker

Has anyone encountered this issue?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/09/glass-staircase-not-dress-friendly/?&hpt=hp_c2

Jun 9, 11 11:44 pm
Jord99

very interesting!

Jun 9, 11 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

I remember hearing/reading that the Apple store in Soho with it's Glass stairs and bridge was originally transparent until there were complaints similar to those listed in the article. The glass parts were then sanded down or treated to make them translucent...

Jun 10, 11 12:19 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Thats ridiculous, the steps themselves aren't transparent jus the risers. That judge is crazy too. 

Jun 10, 11 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Gee thanks, beefeaters, for implying that half the population of this planet is "crazy" to have concern for personal bodily integrity.  I can see you're one of those sensitive designers that really takes user concerns into consideration.

Jun 10, 11 7:24 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

https://arquitectonica.com/blog/portfolio/office/franklin-county-courthouse/

designed by arquitectonica

and the interior renderings are dominated by MEN with the exception of one woman in a pant suit (and maybe a few far off in the distance, clutching their skirts)!!

*angry*

Jun 10, 11 10:16 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

What about all those thousands of buildings built in the 1960's with no risers at all that are still out there??? Why is this a problem now?

Jun 10, 11 11:51 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the writer of the article couldn't be bothered with researching stairs enough to use the term riser instead of bottom. kudos.

Jun 10, 11 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

The risers at my gym are metal mesh, not totally transparent but enough.  More importantly, they stuck those sit up machines under the stairs, so when you lay on them you look straight up at the stairs (not that I do, of course, but you could).

People are just crazy, everywhere and will sue for anything.  

Jun 11, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Donna and Frac

Arquitectonica is one of the few larger corporate firms that two of the founding partners are women. 

Just because some people feel that the staircase is too *revealing* (although there are thousands and thousands of examples of stairs with open risers... again please note that the treads are not glass, only the risers), does not mean they were designed by *insensitive* men who actively ignore user considerations. I am sure you have every person in the worlds interests in mind when you design everything Donna, but maybe whoever did it was just designing what they thought would be a cool stair (and a stair with a long history of predecessors.)

I am sure there have been tons of men's bathroom's designed by women that don't use partitions between the urinals. That is much more *insensitive* than an open riser stair. 

Jun 12, 11 10:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

hear, hear

Jun 12, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: