Archinect
anchor

formal or informal cover letters

marinaven

Hi people,

I just wanted to ask you something related to the cover letters and a cultural issue.
I've been sending it with resumes and so on, but I'm wondering if I did well. I'm not American and sometimes the cultural bases are different from each country. (I'm applying to the US and living there).

I read and took the advices from this forum and also from the Virginia tech website, with cover letters tips. I tried to personalize and search for each firm that I applied for. But I’m not sure if this kind of letters are for more business firm architecture (not for small and more design firm), or simply it's what people do in the US.

After talking with people from Barcelona (where I am from) working in architecture firms, it seemed to be that those kind of letters are bad seen in the small firms for "buttering the hiring staff up"(I don't know translation for that) and they prefer the minimal letter like: "I send you my resume", and something different and casual. But after all, I know that each country is a world.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 09 8:09 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: