Archinect
anchor

In-house accountants

whyARCH?

I have finished a degree in accounting and I was wondering if architecture firms hire in house accountants. I am interested in trying to obtain work for an architecture or construction firm. Also, if I knew drafting would this make me more valuable to an architecture firm, would I be more valuable due to the fact that I did their books and could also help if they had over flow drafting work? This is an odd questions but any help or crit is welcome

Nov 10, 09 6:05 pm
shellarchitect

seems like there would be many better ways to use an accounting degree. knowing how to draft would only devalue you, you don't want to come in at that low of a level.

Nov 11, 09 9:58 am  · 
 · 
file

Most architecture firms of any size will have someone on staff with either an accounting or bookkeeping background. As a general rule, certified accountants are to be found only in the largest of design firms. While having some drafting skills may give a potential employer a sense that you will have some understanding of what goes on in the studio (something not often understood by the folks who keep the financial records) I'd say it would be highly unlikely that any firm that hires you to do bookkeeping would ever seriously consider using you for drafting tasks. But, stranger things have happened in this very dynamic profession.

Nov 11, 09 10:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: