Archinect
anchor

Does your firm have a Business Development guy?

l3wis

A friend who's worked in several starchitect offices as a 'business developer' recently suggested I look into the field, considering the economic slowdown is prompting many firms to begin looking for a business development manager to obtain more work.

Does anyone have experience in this line of work? Any thoughts in general? I'm toying with the idea (in the back of my mind) of pursuing a career as a business developer for architecture firms, as opposed to getting an MArch and pursuing licensure.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw a line out and see if anyone had any comments or insights.

Nov 9, 09 5:42 pm
outed

jk - i'd be shocked if someone hired you to 'learn on the job' with being the business development manager at a firm. completely shocked. tons of interns think it's a really easy thing - go out, have a few drinks, play a little golf... far from it. it's the hardest job in the firm, especially right now. if you can't close the deal, you won't be long for the job.

that said, whatever firm you're working at, ask to sit in on the marketing strategy meetings or to go to interviews, prospective job appointments, whatever they'll let you do. certainly make it clear that you have an interest in it (even if you don't do it as a career per se, it's an invaluable skillset to have). push hard to get to be included. also, try to find the firm in town that's the best at getting the kinds of work you like - go there (if at all possible) and learn from their best.

of all the areas in a firm, this one by far requires the most self initiative. if that ain't you, well....

Nov 9, 09 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah, i was in sales once. it's a tough racket.

Nov 9, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

There is a professional society for BD folks that might give you some clues:
SMPS , although some question the design knowledge and entrepreneurial outlook of SMPS types.

Nov 10, 09 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I kind of do this. I might comment about it later when I am not pirate typing.

I'm kind of drunk on malt liquor.

Nov 10, 09 4:36 am  · 
 · 

I know of several firms that have business development people that work without pay in anticipation of landing a good project... maybe that's a sign of a growing trend as those firms become more dependent on hired help.

Nov 10, 09 9:23 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

A friend did this at a couple of starchitect firms. He did a year total as a BD intern at two different firms (same salary as the arch interns) and then just now is heading up business development at another starchitect firm that previously did not have anyone dedicated to it.

He enjoys it immensely - but don't think hours-wise you will get away easier than as an architect at these firms. Hours were as brutal, if not worse. A good pre-qual takes time to write.

Nov 10, 09 9:44 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Kungapa, your friend sounds suspiciously like my friend, ha ha.

But yea, I think I might try to land a BD internship at an arch office next co-op instead of an arch. internship.

Nov 10, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: