Archinect
anchor

MSN's plug for architects

Obstsalat
aceclubs

Did AIA pay for this?

Great advice more ppl should read:

But before you settle on a candidate, carefully consider the firm's past designs and gauge whether its vision for your house meshes with your own. If you want to incorporate salvaged stained-glass windows and antique brass doorknobs, for instance, don't choose an architect whose past work features floating drywall over recessed fluorescent lights.

Oct 21, 09 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

But check out the comments - looks like about 3-1 against architects, although i did not have the patience to go through all 135 pages.

Oct 24, 09 1:56 am  · 
 · 
holz.box
Arch. & Eng. are over rated. None of them have any clue half the time what they are doing.

if you think we're dumb, you should deal with all the mistakes our subs routinely make by not reading the drawings OR following the specs. christ.

Yes, home designers, home decorators, etc. know how to coordinate structural, HVAC, etc
yes, because the person who selects that sweet painting from thomas kinkaid knows what a backspan is.

architects aren't interested in the small projects......they're just after the big $$$$$$$.
ooh, we've walked away from sooo many projects because we were after big money. we like to go after so many non-profit projects because we like to steal all their money and not give them quality service...

Problem with hiring an architect is that any given project is going to cost 5 to ten times as much to build.
compared to the construction costs in namibia, yes. haven't you been paying attention the last 3 years? demand secalated prices to ridiculous proportions...

You must have better architects than ours. We've had problems with them forgetting to factor in snow loadings, wind loads, and other basic things.
only, forgetting to factor in these things would result in a correction notice to the architect - it simply wouldn't be built (unless illegally - and that's another story)

Architects are highly over rated. I have heard them described as not talented enough to be artists and not smart enough to be engineers. As evidence, my neighborhood has many examples of architect generated monstrosities. People trust that they have a better asthetic sense but they don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Home design isn't rocket science.
ah, so the engineer i worked with that went back to grad school for architecture must be a moron!

The builders and working people of this country know architects are not worth their salt ! Hire a designer.
riiiiiight. that's why we've had 11 contractors in the last week call/stop by to see if there were any projects they could help us on - because we're not 'worth a salt'

the dialogue is funny - architects v. clowns that hate anything that costs more money than their uncle frank could do it for.

spruce - it was just 135 comments, not pages.

Oct 24, 09 2:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: