Archinect
anchor

paid internship in newyork?

kang2010

hi, I am a first year student in MLA1 in U of Toronto and now I am considering the possibility to get a paid intership in NY(or cities near NY)this summer from May 1st to Aug1st.I have a background of five-year B.ARCH from China so maybe architecture firm or landscape firm could both be my choice. Do you think this plan is realiable,especially take into account of the times of economy?Plus, I am international student from China, will this be some kind of hinder for my plan? I would appreciate if anyone would like to say something about it or share your experince. I am not afraid of being pouring cold water ,NY is my dream city, but if I can not make it this time , I will try to still find an intern in Toronto which may be more realistic. Come on, guys, any words?

Oct 18, 09 2:17 pm
c.k.

I think you'd have pretty low chances especially because of visa issues, if nothing else.

Oct 18, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yep too many unemployed American architects to compete with in NYC.

SOM alone cut more than 50% of their staff there.

Oct 18, 09 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

I don't know about that. He's asking about an intership, not a salary job.

I think your chances are great because you're an advanced level student with a degree and can speak fluent Mandarin (I'm guessing.)

Look for firms that have offices in China, or are doing work abroad. I bet they could use a bilingual intern.

Oct 18, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I know it's just an internship. but because he/she studies in Canada, I think it would be pretty hard to get a working/exchange visa for three months. Maybe a J1? Surely not an H1B. Ask your school about this kind of logistics.
But other than that, yeah, I've seen a few ads looking for mandarin speaking people.

Oct 18, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

if the visa can't be arranged, you can get an internship without working visa in some offices as long as you can enter the country and stay for at least three months at a time as a tourist. It is illegal and they will use it against you in the amount of money they will offer you, if they offer anything at all.

Oct 19, 09 6:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: