Archinect
anchor

switching from urban design to buildings....question for those who hire

atsama

Hi all

Before you read/comment, disregard the current state of the economy. This is a "trying to plan my next 5 years" post, not a "what to do today in 2009" post. I have a job now, it's relatively stable and of course I am thankful for that every day and I do not take it for granted. Now that we've gotten that out of the way:

I've been working for ~ 5 years doing urban design; came into it straight from my M.Arch. I was interested in it, got a great job, and thankfully still employed. However, before I go too far down this path, I also want to get some more traditional architecture experience - not only for IDP, etc but because I dont want to end up doing UD forever just b/c I picked it first. There is so much to learn in this profession and I dont want to back myself into a corner just yet. Unfortunately, the firm I am at now can't really give me the experience I want/need.

So, to those of you who hire out there....would you hire someone with 5-7 yrs of design experience who did mostly master planning if this individual was willing to come in at a lower point on the totem pole, so to speak, in order to really learn? Great CAD skills, 3D skills, lots of experience working with clients/consultants, great communication skills....just very minimal experience with building systems/CDs/materials, etc?

Honest answers please! of course i am not looking to change jobs today (see introductory comment), but I'm trying to figure out what my next professional goals are, and I can't exactly ask this question to my current bosses....

Thanks tons.

Oct 15, 09 2:12 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: