Archinect
anchor

Internship in UK

AAS

I applied to do my internship at one of the well known architecture firms in London, and was accepted, this is my first time doing any internship, I was wondering what is really asked of the student to do during his internship, like what kind of work? how can I prepare myself, and what is the average i should expect to be paid?

Oct 14, 09 3:01 pm
holz.box

you're getting paid?!?

congrats.

do anything and everything - arrive early, leave late. make coffee, take out trash. try to get involved in as much as possible.

also, learn to be incredibly organized. that was the hardest thing for me to overcome.

Oct 15, 09 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

"I have no idea if I'll be paid, I did not dare to ask!"

Are you kidding? First of all, are you a Part I or a Part II?

Oct 15, 09 4:19 am  · 
 · 
randomized

if you didn't mention the getting paid part and nobody else brought it up during the interview...what would you do as an employer? but if you don't get schoolcredits for it you should contact them and just ask their policy. I would not make any coffee though or take out the trash if nobody asks you, you're an intern not a doormat. you can lose so much valuable learning time standing in line at starbucks, but that's my opinion.

Oct 15, 09 4:20 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

So you are a Part 1.

http://www.ribaappointments.com/default.asp?page=5

It should be 17-20k pounds a year.

However:

1. Crisis. Many many students would kill for your placement. Most of UK Part 1 are out of work. Most. Somewhere I read that 90% of Part I positions this year would be unpaid. Practices take advantage of the situation.

2. Starchitect. Most probably will be payed less.

So you are in a pretty embarrasing situation. Just ask them what they expect to pay you before beginning.

Oct 15, 09 5:09 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Yeah, I think you can take Hawkin's figures and throw them out the window in these economic times!

Twenty thousand a year as a Part I? You'd be counting your lucky blessings if you even got ten or twelve these days.

But it doesn't hurt to ask right? If you're afraid of how to approach the subject of pay, just try asking about how much to budget, etc. for living in London. Chances are, you might get accommodation as part of the deal (which given London, could save you a lot of money and hassle).
Best of all, just try to open a dialogue with your new employer. Ask THEM what their expectations are, how to best prepare yourself etc.

It shows interest and a professional attitude, which will contribute to a good first impression.

I also echo Holz's advice... Arrive early and leave late. If you find yourself idly sitting at your desk, seek out work. Ask your coworkers if they need help with something. Again, it'll show that you're motivated and excited to learn/contribute.

Best of luck to you!

Oct 15, 09 5:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: