Archinect
anchor

getting accounting degree, no joking

phase123

As a still young architect (I basically did three years' graphic designer's work in an architectural firm), I'm out of work and can't find a job in my city, but I've to stay here coz I don't want to leave my boyfriend.

I'm thinking going back to school getting a MS accounting degree which will take only 1.5 yrs to finish and it seems there're so many accounting job opennings in this economy. yes, accountant's salary sucks too but hey, pays more than architects after three years!

what you guys think? I'm not joking :)

Oct 6, 09 5:49 pm
phase123

btw, after being in architecture field for 13 yrs including school, I was convinced by ppl in my previous archi firm that I'm not good at architecture, and yeah, it's not where my strength is

Oct 6, 09 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Accounting is actualy a very good field in any economy. If you can do taxes either personal or corporate, you will be gurenteed yearly business. Think about that - as an architect most people or businesses will only once, at the most, in their lives utilise the services of an architect. An accountant is needed yearly, or even quarterly or monthly. I'm partial to accounting because I started as an accounting major before switching to architecture and it's a comendable career choice. Just make sure you enjoy it or at least wont miss being an architect.

Oct 6, 09 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
phase123

architecture job has more of a glamour which I did not savored during my past employment.

is there a possiblity to combine both accounting and architecture background after I get the degree? still feels such a waste to let go my 13 yrs relationship with architecture...

Oct 6, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

Well then...maybe get rid of boyfriend instead of architecture.

Accounting can be awesome if you are crooked. Already too many squares in the world.

Oct 6, 09 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
phase123

to be honest I'm getting really frustrated in architecture, maybe I'm just seeing grass greener on the other side... why we're so enchanted by architecture with low pay, tedious work, little appreciation for young ppl in the profession, and more importantly, no creativity as all has believed.

Oct 6, 09 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

you'll find excuses to not enjoy your career in any field...

Oct 6, 09 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Go for it. I'm thinking of similar possibilities outside architecture, but within business. Keep us updated.

Oct 7, 09 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

phase, I saw that you e-mailed me. I wrote you back.

Oct 8, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: