Archinect
anchor

A Gentle Finger

Medit

vs.

vs.

Giving someone "the finger" is one of the basest violations in modern culture, but its origins date back over 2500 years. The first written record of the insult occurred in ancient Greece, where the playwright Aristophanes (the Adam Sandler of his day) made a crude joke mixing up the middle finger and the penis. Even back then, the bird was considered an aggressive, phallic put-down.
It has been argued by anthropologists that the finger is a variant of a classic "phallic aggressive" gesture used by primates.
History of the finger

(so 'modern culture' includes 'modern architecture', right?)

Seen here.

Oct 4, 09 10:56 am
liberty bell

Venturi irritates me on almost every level, yet I totally adore and respect him. Guess that's the point, isn't it?

Fantastic picture. I prefer the bras d'honneur to the bird, but the latter is certainly more convenient.

Oct 4, 09 11:55 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

That is a beautiful picture, but would the finger be considered a duck or a decorated shed?

Oct 5, 09 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

one of my favorites:

giving the single middle finger, though, is not common to all cultures, but more of a usa thing (maybe some other countries too). england gives the middle and index fingers with palm facing in (reverse peace sign). in italy this one is much worse: one arm is pointed out in a straight line, closed fist facing up: the palm of the other arm slaps the juncture of the straight arm, so that the straight arm bends till it reaches a 90' angle (couldn't find a google image)...this is really bad, although i think italians give the finger too now.

Oct 5, 09 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

hmmm...i wonder how he would feel if he had gotten the project.......

Oct 6, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
Oct 6, 09 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

a gentle, if crooked, finger.
what is the finger for?

Oct 7, 09 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: