Archinect
anchor

IDP Credit Without Employment - VOLUNTEER

Philarch

With the recent threads about unpaid internships, I've been saying that I would rather volunteer without getting IDP credit. Turns out, it may be possible to volunteer your time for NON-PROFIT organizations and still get IDP credit.

AIA's Stance: "the possibility remains for intern architects to volunteer their services to nonprofit organizations that provide architectural services if the organization can provide a work setting that qualifies under IDP Guidelines."

NCARB's Stance: Work Setting FF (Is this new?) - "You are performing professional and community service that does not fall under the Work Settings A-F"

Local Non-profit Organization's Stance (specializes in organizing volunteers for other non-profits that need architectural design services but can't afford them): "Based on the article and IDP forms that I have recently filled out for a couple of our volunteers, I believe that the time that they volunteer with us is accepted regardless of whether they are working in an office at the time. We are very happy to be able to serve our intern architects in that way"

The Catch: Maximum of 10 IDP credits.

The Good: As I've said before, volunteering is such a great way to get involved in the community especially when using your knowledge, skills and talents that deal with your chosen profession. Even if its 1/70th of the required credit you need, it could be a great way to stay involved in the field and the community. When volunteering, I've found there is direct contact with the client and consultants.

The Potential: With enough communication with NCARB, it may be possible to extend beyond work setting FF and receive more than 10 credits.

If you are unemployed, in need of IDP credit, it may be worthwhile to look into local non-profit organizations that provide such services.

Sep 27, 09 7:18 pm
aceclubs

You should call up ACORN. I'm sure they can advise you.

Oct 2, 09 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Actually, I was trying to say that IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET IDP WITHOUT EMPLOYMENT, which might be a new thing allowed by NCARB with work setting FF.

My post was more of a <hesitant> statement than a question, if you get what I'm saying; I wasn't asking for advice.

Oct 2, 09 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: