Archinect
anchor

Project Scope in Contracts

designBandit

When it comes to an addition, how detailed do you write out the project scope?

Basically all I have written is a range of square footage and I'm thinking its way too little. The client wants to have a green roof, gray water recycling, do I put that stuff in the scope too?

Sep 24, 09 12:33 pm
drums please, Fab?

yes, i would list all the major aspects of the project scope; a green roof and gray water recycling would be included in that.

the purpose of the project scope is to list what your design fees cover and (maybe more importantly) what they don't. this may help when you start getting into 'scope creep' where the client says 'hey, can you redesign the powder room and the kid's bathroom and add a trellis and blah blah blah ... (those would be additional services for you).

Sep 24, 09 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

FRaC is right on. This is one of the most important aspects of a contract because it identifies in detail exactly what you will be providing and designing. You should also have a clause which indicates that anything in addition to the described scope of work shall be considered additional services.

Here's what my contract says:

Additional Services:
Any additional work not explicitly stated in this proposal will be billed as Additional Services in addition to the fees stated above. If required, the following items will be considered additional services, including but not limited to: changes to the scope of work after a phase has been completed; substantial delays not caused by ourselves or our agents requiring additional work; changes to the construction budget requiring alteration of work already completed.

And I usually modify this based on the project at hand. You should have other sections in your contract that deal with consultant and expediter fees and reimbursable expenses...but I'm sure you already know that.

Good luck.

Sep 24, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Luckily I already know that and have a long clause for additional services and consultant fees....

Thanks guys I flushed out the scope, and once I did, think it was crazy to send out a contract without one!

Sep 25, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: