Archinect
anchor

We've decided to go with someone else...

okram

I got one helluva petty/bitch-out, email this evening from a principal of a structural engineering firm today... because we (my firm/the client) rejected his proposal for services on a project and went with someone else. Has anyone else gotten this kind of inglorious reaction? I have to think the economic climate is to blame; although this guy was quite the dick.

The just:
We'd worked with his firm in the past, and given/handed at least half-a-dozen projects their way in the past few years (with zero reciprocation). Their fees have always seemed reasonable (maybe a bit high, but not excessively); they're kind of a pain-in-the-ass to work with, but never prohibitively (we always seemed to leave projects on positive notes). Prior to seeing any proposals, they weren't my first preference, but they weren't my last either (it wasn't my absolute decision anyway: both my boss and our client held trump-cards).
Anywho, a different structural firm, with which we have also previously worked, had a lower proposed fee for virtually the same services, relevant related project experience, and have been much friendlier and easier to work with. It was a no-brainer.
I briefly explained to the loser in question why we went with someone else, offered my availability to discuss in further detail, and thought nothing more of it... until I got that damn petty email from him. I was accused of wasting his firm's time and effort, deception, and told essentially to watch my back (as if we was going to have our client fire us); he end with "watch out for karma".

Seems bizarre to me.

Sep 24, 09 2:34 am
Distant Unicorn

Out some dried dog turds in a fedex tube, send it next day priority and make sure you get the signature upon deliver... so you know he gets it.

Sep 24, 09 2:45 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Put*

Sep 24, 09 2:45 am  · 
 · 
ih1542006

It's my firm belief that persons who act that way are destined to be out of work.
Proposals are a formal act of competing for work. Not an assurance of it

Sep 24, 09 11:00 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

what a dingleberry! I'd be interested to see his next proposal.

Sep 24, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
xaia

Not sure why he would behave that way, unless he was lead on to believe they would actually be part of your project team. Did they attend interviews, do preliminary calcs, etc. for your firm?

Usually helps to be upfront with consultants - "hey, we have a potential project, we're looking at several consultants, can you submit a proposal? blah-blah?"...no promises.

If you care about his "feelings", confront him and politely ask "wtf was that about?" just listen, and don't apologize for anthing.

They obviously no longer wish to work with your office again, which doesn't sound like much of a loss. Move on.

Sep 24, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
okram

Got a short apology from him this morning; he blamed his behavior on the "tuff [sic] economy".

xaia-We were completely upfront with expectations from them and made it clear that they were not the only engineer from whom we were seeking proposals. I even told him the other firm names and what our previous experiences were with each of them.

Needless to say, we won't be seeking a proposal from his firm anytime soon.

Sep 24, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Just confirmation that you made the right choice. Move on, and don't deal with them anymore. Sounds like you have a better structural consultant anyway.

Sep 24, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

Move on and don't look back.

Sep 25, 09 12:10 am  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Remember this for when times are better and you are tempted to work with him and his firm again - a "tuff economy" is no excuse for bad behavior

Sep 25, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: