Archinect
anchor

Non-Traditional Architect Jobs

Sounder

I don't know if there is already a discussion on this topic, but I was just curious if anyone has used or knows of someone who has used their architecture degree and background for something other than traditional architecture or construction. I know some who have gone to engineering, but what else do people use it for? I think it would be interesting to see the wide range people go to with their degree.

Sep 23, 09 4:13 pm
RealLifeLEED

I have a BA in Architecture (not a BArch) and work in an architecture firm, but my position is as a researcher. Basically, it's my job to come up with formal or scientific justification for the elements of good design that architects tend to understand intuitively or have learned from experience but can't express in terms other than "trust me, I know what I'm doing".

I've looked into the mating habits of sea turtles (to see if construction of a coastal project would hurt them), the validity of claims about the antimicrobial properties of copper and brass, countless life-cycle justifications, the impact of daylighting, trends in various sectors (looking at condotels right now), etc... Generally spec and code style stuff stays with the project team. Most of my work is driven by issues coming up on current or potential projects, though the firm is good about letting me run off on tangents to some extent. The next step is developing a formal program to track building performance and start experimenting with that data.

Only a large firm can support this sort of overhead, but it's becoming more common, especially in healthcare specialties. It's good work if you can find it!

Sep 23, 09 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

Ice cream!

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1915762,00.html

...if you missed this on previous posts.

Sep 23, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go to the FeAtUrEs! area of this online community and look for entries entitled WoRkInGoUtSiDeThEbOx!...Here you will find many examples....

Sep 23, 09 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
ARGPLLC

RealLifeLEED,

Have you developed any white papers? I would be interested in what you have come up with.

A few years ago I read a book called "Animal Architecture", as you said we know but may not be able to quantify that knowledge of knowing. Does your work go to the issues of design asethitics?

I attended a community college early on in my education and John Lautner visited a few times and lectured on that issue. In his view, spaces and the interaction within would be a greater driving force as materials became more man made. Although, it would be interesting to get his perspective today in that regard.

As to the reason for the original post - there are as many different career choices as you may want with a degree regardless of the intent of the degree. I have friends who have gone into everything from perfume companies to motorhome companies. The question to ask, what is it you are interested in and how can you make it enjoyable for you?

I love bowling! I have designed bowling centers and clothing ... why limit oneself? I love cars and motorcycles - I design custom garages ... many nitches ... so little time.

Sep 24, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

^ The fact that your post referenced both a love of bowling and Lautner immediately led me to think of the Big Lebowski.

That is all....sorry!

Sep 24, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

arrgpllc,

I've put together one whitepaper on some of the issues surrounding the small schools movement, but for the most part I work on items for internal distribution or custom presentations/reports for clients. In general I prefer presentations, as they can more easily evolve over time as new info arises than a formal whitepaper...

We're putting together a spinoff website for this sort of info that should be launched late '09 or early '10. It's going to be a sort of blog (not set yet, but the format works well for what we want to do) geared both towards fellow designers and clients, but the content will be more like what's found in research design connections.

I'll be sure to let you know it's up.

Sep 24, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

As listed on ARCHCareers.org

The education you will receive may also prepare you for many occupations:

Architect - Principal
Architectural Journalist
Architectural Historian
Corporate Architect
Draftsperson
Architectural Engineer
Art Director
Banker
Building Contractor
Building Inspector
Building Researcher
Carpenter
Cartographer
City Manager
Civil Engineer
Computer Systems Analyst
Construction Manager
Construction Worker
Creative Director
Facilities Manager
Fashion Designer
Furniture Designer
General Laborer
Graphic Designer
Illuminating Engineer
Illustrator
Industrial Designer
Industrial Engineer
Landscape Architect
Lawyer
Management Analyst
Marine Architect
Materials/Products Sales
Mechanical Engineer
Photographer
Physical Plant Inspector
Professor
Public Architect
Real Estate Appraisers
Real Estate Broker/Analyst
School Plant Consultant
Set Designer
Specification Writer
Surveyor
Technical Illustrator
University Architect
Urban Planner
Writer, Technical Publications

Sep 26, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Big Lebowski isn't he that Architect DUDE?

Sep 26, 09 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: