Archinect
anchor

applications: email or in person?

marinaven

Hi everyone

I really like this website, I hope we would have one like that in my country... or at least in europe!!

Anyway... I wanted to ask about applications and so on. How do people present their applications/portfolios/resume... my e-mail or in person? I know that it is common by e-mail, but if you are really interested in some office, is it unprofessional to introduce yourself in order to give the portfolio? it's common to do that in Spain, at least in the same city you live... but I guess the rules here are different...

Thanks in advance

Sep 23, 09 3:05 pm
bklyntotfc

It's not unprofessional, but the odds of a principal, or whoever does the interviewing, being free to talk for a few minutes, or to actually sit down and interview you on the spot, are extremely slim. So you're 99% likely to end up giving your portfolio to the receptionist.

There's no harm in that...

More important, whether you submit materials in person or electronically, would be to follow up politely but persistently. Find out who reviews portfolios, and do your best to get them on the phone to ask if they've had a chance to review your submission. I've often set portfolio's aside when we're not hiring, or because I'm busy w/ other matters, and if I get a followup call I'll almost always look through that portfolio (usually after the call, not during).

During the call, if no offer of an interview is forthcoming, ask if it's o.k. if you call back a couple of weeks later, and then do so.

Don't call every day or pester anyone. You're trying to let your potential employer know that you're persistent (a good trait), not a pain in the neck.

Sep 24, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: