Archinect
anchor

Working in Denmark? Possibility

Jayness

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for an American Architect interested in trying to find an architecture gig in Copenhagen? I am not sure how the profession there is weathering the "great recession", nonetheless, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 14, 09 6:10 pm

it's harder without an EU passport. each EU country has different laws for hiring non-EU workers, but typically you get sent to the back of the queque without one - that's unless the firm that is hiring has a special agreement with the immigration office.

Sep 15, 09 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
empea

right now many european countries have a stop on issuing new work visas for architects in order to stimulate occupation of "domestics" first of all. this is the present case in the uk f.e. should you get one typically the office take care of the process with immigration but either way you only have a 28 day window should you be laid off (again, UK law). don't know the specifics for denmark but would be extremely surprised if they were more flexible on this than the brits, usually the scandinavian countries aren't - sadly - very well prepared to deal with foreigners coming to work

Sep 16, 09 5:56 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

I can't comment on the profession as a whole, but JDS let something like 25-30% of its people go this past spring. Or at least that's the figure he mentioned at a semi-recent lecture here.

So like I said, while that isn't necessarily indicative of the entire profession in Copenhagen, it certainly doesn't paint the most promising picture.

Sep 17, 09 9:10 am  · 
 · 
drew101

I left the UK in early '09 after being laid off there from a large international firm. I've been keeping tabs on whats been happening there and it's been very slow for architects(one of the highest unemployed professions).
I have friends working there who are on alternating rolling vacations of 2 week periods.
Here in Australia the recession is nonexistent.

Sep 19, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: