Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Law combined together

k.bozajiev

Hello 

My name is Kostadin! This is my first post in a website like that, and i really dont know how to refer my question. Currently im involved in a technical school for architecture and management, and im pursuing a bachelor of it!  Ever since I was little there were two passions in me - architecture - crating living spaces with a sleek ideas of creating something beautiful and pleasant , and the other one was law!      When it came time for choosing universities i signed up for my current one - the bachelor of architecture and management, but the idea of both degrees combined together never left me. I am wondering is there are law Master Degrees that can be combined with civil engineering jobs, and what is it called as a profession, and what does it do! 

Thank you!

Jan 21, 14 1:11 pm
observant

From the way you've constructed your post, and the nomenclature, I am assuming you are not in the U.S. or Canada.

Sure, you can get a B.Arch. or BS in Arch. and then go to law school to get a JD (in North America).  The law degree will be virtually useless for employment in an architecture firm, with most of them being small(er).  The law degree is typically used to become involved in construction, real estate, and/or development related law.  The combination is even stronger when the candidate has worked in architecture or engineering and has a professional license.  From what I've seen, they tend to do well.

Jan 21, 14 2:06 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

I know two guys that got both their architecture license and their law degrees. 

One became a construction litigation attorney.  Hated it even though he made bank, and went back to architecture particularly on the repair side after litigation; Probably had more to do with his network of other professionals in litigation support than a strong desire to go that direction.  He just hated the paper the legal side must generate.

The other was going to go into patent law, specifically aimed at architecture.  He didn't, last I heard took a architectural position with a big firm. 

Haven't met any civil engineer/lawyers.

Jan 21, 14 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
observant

^ I only know two and they never looked back.

However, I think your stories are more believable.  They felt called to be architects.  They then studied law because it was the thing to do and/or it was more lucrative.  That they sort of backtracked is not surprising.

Jan 21, 14 2:11 pm  · 
1  · 
chigurh

architects attempt to build things

attorneys attempt to sue those that build things

Jan 21, 14 5:26 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Or you could also say:

One looks to the future, one dwells on the past.

The legal world is also a gloomy place.  Remember that you are living daily in someone else's misery.  Exposed to the worst of the worst on a regular basis.  It's like going to my father inlaw's over the weekend and him showing off his little addition.  I had to hold my tongue because I know I could do a fairly lengthy report on all the construction defects I saw with just a casual look. I sort of hate being able to take a source of pride and ripping it apart.  So I just shut up, smile, and tell him he'll enjoy it while inwardly cringing...

Jan 21, 14 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Might be useful for collecting payment.

Jan 21, 14 9:50 pm  · 
1  · 
observant

^  Meh.  You could probably hire Guido to do that part.

Jan 21, 14 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

You might want to listen to these lectures and get in contact with the individual who does them: http://www.schiffhardin.com/design-build/lecture-notes/architecture-544---spring-2012

Jan 21, 14 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
k.bozajiev

Hey Guys, thanks to everybody's answers!! It helps me to take a more broad look on what i want to follow for the future. Yes, Im not neither in the U.S nor Canada, currently Im settled in Europe.    

Jan 22, 14 7:36 am  · 
 · 
bozzoo

You can do urban planning, It involves understanding of space and design, but also requires negotiations with clients

Jul 10, 20 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: