Archinect
anchor

What would you do?

2step

There is a rather wealthy individual, who was trained as a geotechnical engineer and made a fortune in the oil drilling business who lives in one of my markets for residential homes. The town is rather upscale, older estate type suburban market. He retired at 50 and then decided to get a masters in Architecture. He faked or had friends who were architects sign his IDP hours and then passed the tests for licensure. He is a socialite and has now grabbed almost 100% of the high end residential market for a series of towns and some of the local builders he teams up with have told me privately that he is a danger to himself; his drawings are terrible and poorly planned yet the builders know this and cover for him and in fact encourage him. These are decent builders who know what they are doing structurally, but I know they also like his cheap stamp and can use him as they see fit.

Is their an ethical dilemma for legitimate architects to tolerate this guy in my area of business? Is it unethical to say nothing?

Sep 3, 09 12:21 pm
poop876

He should definitely be reported to somebody and all the other plans examiners/architects/engineers should lose their license immediately. If you are not going to do it, give me all the information and I will do it, as long as it is real!

Sep 3, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

high end residential.... is this under 3500 sq ft?

Sep 3, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
zivotinja

hey if he passed the tests he is qualified. he could not fake those. other than that he stands the same ground as any of us who are experts in any segment of this business. Oh what a heck, you know how many contractors did not know what they are doing and they did not even have a wit to comprehend building issues.

Sep 3, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
2step

In these towns an architect is required for most if not all additions, renovations both large and small ( these are very elegant and classic buildings mostly from the late 1800s and early 1900s requiring very skilled tradesmen hence the design build method).

Yes this is very real. In the reporting period between the time He finished school and received a license I know for a fact he spent winters at his vacation home and also sat on the board of a company out of state where he was at many weeks out of the year. There is no way He could have completed the required hours by the time he passed the exams.

Obviously He is passing plan examinations which can be stringent, whether that is with the help of contractors' in house draftsmen or consulting with other unknown architects I cant be sure. He asked me once while still in school to have my company draft his design for house in Lake Geneva as if it was just a favor among friends.

Part of me is professionally jealous that He is doing great in his first year and a half in business however its also seems wrong. I know him personally and I know He is a very intelligent person very capable of performing as an architect if having put in the time, He is after all a trained engineer and successful entrepreneur. What bothers me is this cavalier attitude that I can walk into town and give myself away as a design build partner, not put in the training and skew the market for everyone else. Part of me fears this is the future for residential architecture like it or not.

Sep 3, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

"Part of me is professionally jealous that He is doing great in his first year and a half in business"

i think we have bingo. at least that was my first impression.

1. how many architects do you know that have not cheated in some way on their IDP...stretched hours..truths etc.
2. he did pass the tests = licensure...
3. his drawings i would assume are checked and pass dob inspection like yours do...
4. he can be sued and is liable for his work just like anyone else..if he has done anything wrong or if his buildings fall down he will be in trouble.

i guess what i've read doesn't seem like proof to me. and what he has allegedly done wrong couldn't/wouldn't be litigated.

there will always be shady architects/developers that get away with things until they don't...but i would assume that he's going through the same process as you but just happens to know the right people... i mean it's not like he's building without a permit.

Sep 3, 09 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

Success in architectural practice is more about social and business connections and ability to get work commissions, than years of experience or technical expertise.

If this architect is so "incompetent", then his clients will quickly fire him. He may do crap work, but apparently clients still like him and his track record.

For typical (not star architect "works-of-art") residential house commissions, most clients and contractors use architect's plans as a general "design guideline" while using typical construction methodologies and incorporating design deviations. Sometimes architect is seen as just in the way during construction phase of a residential house project, at least in the mind of the client and contractor, at least until contractor and client begin feuding with one another.

Sep 3, 09 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Business as usual. We are all jealous of the guy that got a commission in school because his folk's friend's needed a new vacation house or whatever. That's just life.

I see nothing wrong with what he's doing, beyond the jealous/bitterness factor.

My advice, go try to work for him. He's successful and getting things done. You can complain about people, but at the end of the day there are those that get it done and those that complain about not having the opportunities, etc., etc. Life ain't fair, as they say.

If you got in good with him, as surely someone will, he'll introduce you to his colleagues and friends, and, eventually, he'll either want to hand it off or you'll know enough people to do your own thing.

Sep 3, 09 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I was also going to say - if you cant beat em, join em.

Sep 3, 09 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
druf

In my mind there are 3 basic rules to follow in a situation where you believe there is professional misconduct:

1. If you believe that a member of your profession is doing something illegal or dangerous to public health, safety, welfare (which might be the case if you did not legitimately earn your IDP hours); you should report it. Its what is expected ethically.

2. Make sure you have tangible evidence, not conjecture or rumor.

3. Let yourself be publicly known as the accuser and be prepared to accept any that result. Making serious allegations isn't free.

Sep 3, 09 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I've never understood why any architect would sign off on IDP forms for someone who clearly hadn't completed the required hours. I just don't see any upside in it for the person who's already licensed.

Sep 4, 09 8:25 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Business relationships? Not liking the hypocrisy of the process that is in place? There are tons of reasons.

In this case, I'll put money on the fact that Jack doesn't really know, he's speculating.

Sep 4, 09 8:34 am  · 
 · 
2step

I've read the comments and I do agree. To boil down to the core of the issue for me is the question, " Is He lowering the bar for us all"?

Essentially, what we have here is the gentleman architect model whereby most if not all the heavy lifting has been passed to the design builder and the architect is for contacts and concept only. What has me shocked is the speed at which the local builders have adopted this model. Literally overnight.

Larson and Trace you are correct I am jealous but I'm not speculating. This is a pretty tight market and we all hear things. Nobody in this group is reading Archinect I can be certain. Ive spent 20 years building a reputation and network in this area from the ground up and perfected my craft. I did not anticipate such alliances were possible where a profesional would cede so much of the process. I to could become a design build partner, which I've been in the past but in a more active role, and cut my fees to gas money. I may sound bitter but I post to hear a more youthful perspective from the position of anonymity. I would'nt be so blunt in person I can assure you.

Sep 4, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I can't see how he is lowering the bar.

What I see continually degrading the profession is just bad design. I could careless about the credentials of someone if they make a great product, could be a high school kid for all I care! If the product, a house here, is built to the same requirements as anything else out there, what is the problem?

Seriously, there are TONS, the vast majority, of architects are making horrible buildings, both in quality and design. Licensure does absolutely nothing to promote good design. Personally, I know "architects" that are partners at quality firms but have no license and then you see crap everywhere made by those that followed the 'rules' to a T.

Also, keep in mind all those home builders that don't need or care about a licensed architect. I'd look at some of those builder/developers as being more of a detriment to the profession.

Lastly, I feel for you, esp. considering your efforts. But this is business and it ain't fair. There are tons of horrible companies out there in any field that are extremely successful, then talented ones that can't survive. Call it luck, right-place-right-time, or whatever, but the fact is there is no level playing field anywhere.

I'd still say you look at him and try to take advantage of his presence. What events does he attend? Where does he have drinks? Etc., etc.

There is always something to learn from someone successful, even if it was handed to them.

Sep 4, 09 10:42 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Find out what areas he is week in and target those. In other words hit them where he ain't.

It appears that he provides a high concept / builder follow through service.

Many clients at that caliber of work want a lot of hand holding, lots of meetings and assistance with making aesthetic decisions. Sounds like your niche, if not now - very soon.

Sep 4, 09 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when i was a fashion designer, i had to deal with stella mccartney and her billion dollar daddy, not to mention her mom's kodak eastman money. then i had to deal with ivanka trump coming in a stealing my jewelry design commissions. now this shit. i quit.

Sep 4, 09 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: