Archinect
anchor

LAR-FR and the likes

bollocks

in the current depressing architectural climate is it too much to ask for architecture firms to actually acknowledge receipt of serious applications for employment in their firms?

Sep 2, 09 5:12 pm
Cherith Cutestory

yes.

Sep 2, 09 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
grid

No loss, they prefer people to work for free - which is not (always) stated up front.

Sep 2, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm totally with you. It's super frustrating to send out applications to seemingly black holes. But you also have to consider that these offices are literally getting 100+ applicants a day. The amount of time it would take to respond to each person would be a full-time job.

At this point I am used to the general blow off. What perplexes me is when the office gives you an interview and then you never hear anything back. I mean, they probably interview 10 people, maybe 15-20 at the most. How much effort would it at least be to send a generic thanks but no thanks letter to the few people you interviewed?

Sadly for all of us unemployed folk the market is not in our favor so frankly I think most of these offices really don't give 2 cents about their PR because they know there is a line around the block and around the corner eager and willing to work there (likely for less than they are worth).

My feeling at this point is if the office gives me the cold shoulder, they aren't worth my time. I'd rather be broke and unemployed than a slave for some ego driven a-hole.

Sep 2, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

*uck,
I agree, but it still amazes me that they even take applications from outside the firm. Take the number of people working at a firm and most of those people know somebody that is out of work. So why not have internal people suggest others to apply directly so they don't have to deal with 100+ daily applications.

Sep 6, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Well I have had one office that advertised an opening last fall here on Archinect respond to my resume and said something along the lines "We would be interested in continuing with an interview but only if you can provide us with a reference from another office that we associate with, otherwise thanks for your interest."

Sep 6, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
gaas

I had an interview with LAR-FR...
Big waste of time. We talked for 3 minutes ( I'm not kidding...), and they didn't even want to see my portfolio.
I personally believe that did not like the way I was dressed OR they did not like to hear that I am a foreigner...
Anyway, I emailed them 4 weeks later because I did not hear from them...and they said that they ran out of work so they couldn't hire anybody.
So one month later they put another add on Archinect looking for a "professional slave" as I like to call what they were actually looking for: a " junior" architect that is EXTREMELY proficient in ALL softwares, and that is willing to work OVERTIME...
Give me a break!!!
You ain't no Pritzker winner, Gonzalez!!!

Sep 8, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

on your cover letter tell them that you will call them in a week to talk about the exciting potentialities of working at their firm. then in a week call them. pick up the phone. they still have phones don't they?

Sep 8, 09 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

gaas,
what is wrong with being proficient in all software and working overtime. Where do you work where this does not apply? Maybe not nowadays during the recession, but it is usually done at most firms!

Sep 9, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Maybe if I rewrote my cover letter using the lyrics from 'I want you to want me' I would get an interview? Perhaps Cheap Trick had something there.

Sep 9, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: