Archinect
anchor

Got License??

thetraveler

So I just got my license....... now what?

Sep 2, 09 8:50 am
b3tadine[sutures]

you want fries with that?

Sep 2, 09 8:54 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

buy a nice frame?

Sep 2, 09 9:07 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

My point exactly.

Sep 2, 09 9:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Now you enjoy knowing that (assuming you don't commit any felonies) you never ever ever have to skirt around the whole I'm-an-architect-but-not-legally question ever again!

Congratulations!

Sep 2, 09 10:07 am  · 
 · 

congratulations! you don't ever have to take those tests again! it's a landmark in your career - the line between 'i am' and 'i'm not yet'.

you will be able to call yourself an architect and (when, in the short term, things get better), you'll be more able to make your own decisions about the roles you take instead of depending on where someone wants to put you.

it may seem anti-climactic now but it is meaningful and willmake a difference.

Sep 2, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 

yep yep. great (architects') minds think alike.

Sep 2, 09 10:09 am  · 
 · 
simples

congratulations - now you must decide what you want to do with it! yes, you could buy a frame and hang it on your cubicle. but, if you are employed, make sure your office is aware of you being licensed, along with your desire for greater responsibility, and professional growth. mean it! if you are not happy with where you are employed, shop around for professional liability insurance, and develop your business plan - or heck, do work on the side - doesn't your cousin know someone who wants to open a restaurant - your cool great uncle wants an addition to collect his art?! - or...better yet, don't you know those two great architects with tons of client connections who you can start a business with (i mean, you guys talk about it over beers all the time!!!) and hey, the next time you are at a party and someone asks what you do for a living, you can finally call yourself an architect - now you can be one too!!!

just so you know, i've been doing this "architecture" thing professionally for over 10 years now, and just got my permission to test from prometrics, and have just asked myself the same question...above, that's the answer i came up with!!! hope it helps!!!

Sep 2, 09 10:10 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

You still have to pay for some letters behind your name. Decide which scams sound best to you, pay the grifters and maybe some leeds will come your way.

Sep 2, 09 10:34 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what kind of license? fishing? motorcycle? poetica?

Sep 2, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Thetraveler - when did you take your last exam? I have been waiting on my last 2 tests for over 2 months now.

Sep 2, 09 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

congratulations thetraveler...i hope the 'now what' in your life gets resolved. i think that's what's helping me put off the last exam: the unknown about what will change, (if anything) or what could change about where i'm at in this architecture thing.

selophane, that has got to be killer waiting on those last exams. i hope you get your results soon.

Sep 2, 09 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Congratulations! You do NOT have to pay for these letters behind your name:

A-r-c-h-i-t-e-c-t

Sep 2, 09 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Mfrech - unlike thetraveller I know what comes next, but your right, the wait is a killer. All I need is one letter and I can refile my LLC as an architecture firm, call contractors and interior designers and reprint my business cards. This is worse than waiting for college acceptance letters.

Sep 2, 09 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

now you can become an artist....screw architecture... another hurdle in life has been accomplished.

Sep 2, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Congratulations!!!

There is a quiet authority, confidence, and peace that comes with being an Architect.

Sep 2, 09 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

grats.

start a firm in nyc and get me a job.
kthnx.

:-D

Sep 2, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
okram

Congrats... just starting the exams myself.
pd.o

Sep 3, 09 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

boy, i really need to finish my IDP...

Sep 3, 09 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

pintday is always such genius!

Sep 3, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Wow

Just as I was typing how I didn't have motivation to take the AREs even now that I'm done with IDP, the supervisor comes by my desk and tells me that the corporate office is taking away "Architectural Designer" titles and instead I will now be a "Designer." Is that motivation enough?

Good lord. I know its not legal in every state to use "architectural" but COME ON! Any 4 year engineering school graduate can call themselves "engineers" and now I'm a designer? And, how about that impeccable timing, getting everyone while they're down.

Sep 3, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Sorry, no need to hijack this thread with a topic thats been beaten to death (using any form of "architect" in our titles). I just happened to be typing a response when I was told of this wonderful news. Carry on.

Sep 3, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose
"Congratulations! You do NOT have to pay for these letters behind your name:
A-r-c-h-i-t-e-c-t"

So ... let me see if I have this right ... my education, my ARE study materials, my exam fees, and my bi-annual state license renewal ALL were really free. You mean I wrote all those checks for nothing?

Sep 3, 09 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Slartibartfast -

Chew on this for a moment. Virginia requires that no one without a license use any form of the word architect, be that "architect," "architectural" or "architecture." This includes such phrases as "intern architect," "architectural intern," "professor of architecture" and "Bachelor/Master of Architecture." I know this because I have specifically asked the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation what phrasing I as someone who is still waiting on their ARE results is allowed to use. Their response was that I am only allowed to call myself a "designer" and if I happened to use "interior" in front of that I could be sued for misrepresentation because that is also a licensed profession.

The great humor in all of this is that Northern Virginia is the largest IT employer in the country, even greater than Silicon Valley, and this industry uses the term "architect" freely without legal or monetary repercussion. I can't tell you how many jobs come up with I search for "architect" with titles like "systems architect," "data architect" and "user experience architect." Yet, if i happen to call myself an intern-architect in a discussion or somehow infer that my Master of Architecture degree is in "architecture" I can be sued.

Sep 3, 09 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Sorry, I didn't actually mean to bring up the topic of using the "architect" title. It just transpired just as I was typing in this response box. I know that is a sore topic with many people, including me. But maybe this isn't the appropriate thread? I don't know

Haha, but I did jokingly yell at my supervisor something like "you can call some cheap plastic/fypon column that doesn't carry any weight an architectural column and I can't call myself (with 5+ years of experience) an architectural designer?"

Sep 3, 09 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
okram

pd.o again.
Sep 3, 09 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

This entire debacle will implode, eventually, mark my words.

Anyone up for a friendly wager?

Sep 3, 09 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What's the wager, trace? That in 20 years the regulated profession and use of he word architect will have disappeared? I agree with you.

slart, I love love love the fypon "column" analogy!

Sep 3, 09 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

hahahahahahaha! 'architectural column'.

maybe you should call yourself an 'architectural caryatid', slart.

Sep 4, 09 7:09 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Not to be picky, but I would prefer to be an Architectural Atlantid.

I just realized I didn't congratulate the traveler yet on getting the license. Congrats!

Sep 4, 09 10:14 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

selophane -- you weren't kidding about knowing what comes next: i saw your site, http://www.studiosml.com/ - it looks great, man. good luck to the practice and i hope your results arrive soon!

Sep 4, 09 10:17 am  · 
 · 

mfrech - Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just need to learn enough flash to create a portfolio slideshow so i can put it up there.

Sep 4, 09 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

congratulations!

it is somewhat anticlimactic at first (as someone mentioned above), but it is a professional accomplishment on your part.

i remember receiving my notice that i had passed, together with an invitation to our "induction" at the upcoming convention with food and drinks, sponsored by AIA - i didn't want to attend, didn't seem like a big deal.

my parents said they wanted to go, and see my get my certificate in front of everyone, etc (it was like graduation all over again). i've never seen them prouder - that was worth it.

you don't have many moments like this (except maybe when you have a kid or something). enjoy those moments, because they don't come everyday.

sorry to sound lame, i couldn't resist.

Sep 4, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: