Archinect
anchor

"i helped build cathedrals during the recession..."

xaia

i've heard stories of american students temporarily pouring and mixing concrete at gaudi's sagrada familia in barcelona. obviously not for the money but to add to their resume and for "bragging rights" for the architecturally insane.

the guy telling the story was "Todd from Cincinatti", probably full of it for all i know - though it sounded legit and made for a good story.

anyone actually know somebody (american or not) who's pulled this off?

any other legendary stories of crap (believable or not)?

Sep 1, 09 11:40 am
Medit

if the thread's title is exactly his quote, he's wrong because the Sagrada Familia is not a cathedral at all... a cathedral is where the bishop has his seat, and Barcelona's bishop has his seat here

but yeah, having that in your cv gives it a sort of exotic touch... however some architects think that the SF is a real monstrosity so I don't know if it will help you in the end.

Sep 1, 09 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

I mean an "exotic touch" not only for american students but for students all around the world, including Catalans...

Sep 1, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

thanks for that piece of info, medit -

i think he was throwing around the word "cathedral" since there were many non-architects at this gathering, and it sounded cooler. then again, he may just be full of it.

i guess i'm just envious (though i did get to go up and down the SF spiral steeples and experience vertigo - like a tourist, ofcourse).

Sep 1, 09 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

may be he wants to apply for concrete guy title?

Sep 1, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

how about "i helped destroy the Catholic Church during the recession"?

Sep 2, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

how long has Gaudi been dead....? think anyone would want to bring a Gropius project to completion..?

Sep 2, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i poured/mixed 7 slabs 4x4x2 of sidewalk concrete by hand...... last time i will do that... and i didn't have a mixer... just water/wheel barrel/ shovel

Sep 2, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

hat's off to 80grit...pouring and mixing concrete is one of the more difficult parts of construction, especially outdoors. mix or build it wrong, you gotta jack hammer it all out.

Sep 3, 09 12:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: