Archinect
anchor

Unrelated architecture job...do you put it on the resume?

odee

So I graduated in May with my M.Arch and have since been looking for architecture positions. However, as most of the threads on this board indicate, these jobs are tough to come by. So, since I can't sustain living without making money, I've been working on boats (sailing is another passion of mine).

The question: Do I put this experience on the resume to show that I've not just been sitting around waiting for the perfect job? Or do firms not care that I've been working as a marine technician as it isn't directly relevant to the jobs I'm pursuing? Thanks.

Aug 31, 09 10:53 pm
cadcroupier

I can't see it hurting you...so why not.
Who knows it may actually help you connect to an employer that shares your interest.

beleive it or not, architects sometimes like to talk about stuff other than architecture :p

Sep 1, 09 1:32 am  · 
 · 
binary

you might be better off as a marine tech for the next year or two.

Sep 1, 09 1:35 am  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

or 10

Sep 1, 09 1:47 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

One firm I interviewed at wanted to know what I did the summer of freshman year in BArch. When I told them I worked at Home Depot for that summer, they said that the fact that I knew the difference between a phillips head and flat head was not insignificant.

I think most firms worth their salt want to see a well-rounded person, not just a cad monkey. So including 'I build boats.' on a cv is probably beneficial.

Sep 1, 09 6:26 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you may be able to help them land a job with a kennedy. it is the new it hobby.

Sep 1, 09 8:43 am  · 
 · 
med.

Absolutely put that in! If nothing else, it's a great talking point! Architects love to pretend that they know stuff about boats and sailing.

And they know that people can't just wait around for the recession to end to find a job -- people have to move on and eke out a living somwehow.

Sep 1, 09 8:59 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I've met an awful lot of architects who sail. I think that this experience could only help you.

Sep 1, 09 9:22 am  · 
 · 
file

Maybe you can stretch the experience to make it look like you've been doing naval architecture.

Sep 1, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 
xaia

some employer's like to see that folks have lives outside of architecture since it helps with marketing the firm; sailing is especially great for networking, too...flaunt it if you can.

Sep 1, 09 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
odee

thanks all for the responses, it has been a great networking tool as there are lots of architects that I have met through this job. After all, there is an 'architecture regatta' next week that I will be participating in....I hope each team knows they will be receiving a copy of my resume and work samples with the course layout!

Sep 1, 09 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

my bosses seem to like that i was chef for 7 years before I went back to school,... it can show your not a Archi-drone, but a real person. ..and yes..ppl that only think about Architectural Design are drones.

Sep 1, 09 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sep 4, 09 4:02 am  · 
 · 
bigness

renzo piano is an avid sailor.

(that could sound so wrong).

put it this way: if I had nothing else to write because I had just graduated, I would put it in. It will fall of your resume as soon as other, more relevant experiences stack up.

Sep 4, 09 5:31 am  · 
 · 
outed

as the guy hiring (and for the 87th time it feel like): these are extraordinary times. no employer worth anything is going to ding you for listing non-architectural (or professional) work at all. there are way too many good people getting pinched for us on this end to make those kinds of judgments.

and, as it's been pointed out above, listing another type of job just opens us up to seeing what else you're about. we all want an office with a wide diversity of experiences and interests.

Sep 4, 09 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: