Archinect
anchor

Any American Architects with jobs in Spain?

remus + romulus

The title basically explains it all. I'm just curious if anyone has some insight on landing an offer and getting over the work visa obstacles. From the research I've done, the process seems near to impossible. So, I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on the topic. Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 09 4:57 am
trace™

trace81?!!??!!!

Do you not see the "TM"?

*kidding. No help to your topic, but I like Spain, would like to go back sometime

Aug 31, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Yup. work visa is impossible. Although it was a while ago, no one I knew had visas. I think I knew one guy who got one but only after a long time there and become a fixture in his office.

I was there a few yrs and no visa didnt stop me from getting bank account, signing lease (was a little tricky though but once the lady became convinced I could pay rent she didnt care where I was from).

Sep 1, 09 3:15 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Well...a few people I went to school with have/are working at EMBT. I know that they are not working as licensed professionals as they graduated and then just started working, but they all have been designing there at that office. Our school has an affiliation with that office sending students as interns, but also they have tend to hire them as well. I am not sure if that information helps at all...of those who have worked there in Spain, they didn't suggest that the process was difficult.

Sep 1, 09 9:25 am  · 
 · 
nRyArch

I worked in Barcelona for 3 months in 2005. I loved it so much there. I am in contact with an architect from there a lot and I know from her that it is very difficult to find a job there right now. It is difficult to find work everywhere right now though.

Something someone said to me once about going and working in Italy, which is much more difficult than Spain. They said if you really want to go there and live there then just do it, and the other stuff will work itself out. Do not worry if it is impossible. It is definitely not impossible. If it is what you want to do then just go there and then look for work.

It is easier to find work once you are there. However it is not impossible either to find it before hand. Someone told me once it would be impossible to find a position in Europe before going over there in person. I did not listen to them and kept trying and I did end up finding an office in Germany that helped me get a working visa before I went there.

Sep 1, 09 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

20% unemployment. you'd be better off scavenging parts off of oil tankers in Bangladesh.

Sep 1, 09 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
remus + romulus

b3tadine.. way to state the obvious.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. Keep it coming. To those with experience in Spain, I'd like to know how you managed after your tourist visa ran out? That is, if you didn't have a work visa.

And Trace.. sorry for the trademark infringement. I guess I'll see you in court.

Sep 1, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

which part, scavenging ship parts?

Sep 1, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
I know from her that it is very difficult to find a job there right now

It's not very difficult. It's impossible unless you have personal connections.

Local architects are desperate to find jobs, so, if you don't have that personal connection, you can't compete with them.

Sep 2, 09 4:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: