Archinect
anchor

Architect.com - A call to arms

RealLifeLEED

A friend of mine pointed out that architect.com is probably the most early 90's looking website remaining on the web, and that it sucks that as a group we're represented by such tripe. His suggestion was to get the AIA or some other group to pony up and buy Thomas Bollay, Architect out of his domain and do something better.

Does anybody know this guy? Are they still in business? Does he think that this site is helping his business? Anybody with fat pockets looking to start a site?

Aug 27, 09 5:18 pm
won and done williams
Aug 27, 09 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

thomas bollay is actually pretty damned accomplished.

Aug 27, 09 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

"let me do architecture till my balls bust" Sore Frank Lloyd Crisp

Aug 27, 09 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
file

rll --- man, you gotta get a life !

Aug 27, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

you gotta hand it to the guy for seeing an opportunity and seizing it. Isn't that what architecture is all about?

Aug 27, 09 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think that website is pretty sweet...i don't know what the complaint is about.

Aug 27, 09 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

of course, he needs to learn a few tricks from string-emil.de before he gains the title of all-time best website, ever...

suggestions such as music, t-shirt sales, fan galleries, light-inverted photos, etc

Aug 27, 09 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

eating yogurt off of his cornices?

Aug 27, 09 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

actually if he had some gumption... he could probably make decent money off of keeping his website and his registry and sell space to other architects in the form of folders.

like architect.com/puddles.

he could probably even go so far as to "judge" each submission to ensure quality control.

Aug 27, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I'd like to point out that the web design firm responsible for Mr. Bollay's site has done at least two sites for local AIA chapters. . .

Aug 27, 09 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

here is a choice quote from mr. bollay regarding the importance of the "web":

The "Web" seems to be a logical format for architects to define their design philosophies as well as a forum to present images of their completed works with far greater depth and insight than has ever been available before.

this man was a pioneer.

Aug 27, 09 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

yes he was.

Aug 27, 09 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Romance is back

Aug 27, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

I didn't mean to critique his work in any way, just the website...

Aug 28, 09 8:25 am  · 
 · 
architerp

What about www.architects.com

It's a squatter site. It may be easier to snag and cheaper.

Aug 31, 09 8:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: