Archinect
anchor

Currently Employed but needing to Get my Masters

w4000

I recently graduated in may '08 with a BA Arch. I some how found a job mid-October of last year thankfully after searching for 6 months. However, I am debating when it would be the correct time to apply for grad school to get my M.Arch.

With the way things are right now, I am thinking of applying for grad school now, just incase things turn out for the worse in the intermediate future. I would have had close to two years of experience before returning to grad school, which is what most of my professors recommended to work before grad school.

Do you think an employer would understand this move? How you would bring it about into the light without somehow moving yourself onto the next on the chopping block because you are the one with an option if you were laid off?

I could mostly likely differ for a year when I am accepted, as well.

Aug 27, 09 11:04 am
bklyntotfc

w4000...this is a non-issue. People move, they go back to school, they up and quit (well not as much now as 2 years ago for that one).

If your employer doesn't understand, he/she's an idiot.

However, I would not let them know you 'might' be leaving. When you 100% know you're going to school, then tell them with as much advance notice as possible. If you're a key player on a project, or the only employee in the office, give them a couple of months notice so they can transition someone else into place. If you're more on the periphery, make it a month.

Given the economy, giving notice way before actually leaving will leave you open to being let go if things are slow.

Good Luck

Aug 27, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

Unless you're asking your employer for a reference, I wouldn't tell them a thing until you know exactly where your going to school. You'll still be able to give them several months notice. If you are thinking of asking them for one, I'd consider finding other people unless they are some kind of 'sure thing' to get you into the top programs.

Also, I would think that with applications up as much as they have been the last two years, deferment will not be an option (depending on the school you get into).

Aug 27, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Would said employer need a replacement employee when you leave??

Aug 27, 09 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

What is to understand? When you get accepted to grad school, two weeks prior to going back to school, tell your employer that you are tendering your resignation. Thank him and provide a letter of your termination. You will be missed greatly I am sure but today there are many people waiting in the wings ready to take the job you no longer require. They thank you.

Aug 28, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

I agree 2 weeks notice, month tops. More than enough time for any employer to find a suitable replacement in this market.

Aug 31, 09 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: