Archinect
anchor

interviews: how much is tmi

parkerm

hey everyone,

I have a question i'm hoping some of you more experienced archinecters can help me out with...
So I have some large gaps on my resume because I've had to take time off to take care of a terminally ill parent. I guess my question is two fold:

1. Since I'm relatively young, I feel like this sometimes comes off as me being lazy/incompetent/unable to get a job. If the interviewer doesn't ask about it, should I even bring it up, just so they know I have a legit reason for being unemployed during that time? Or should I just not bring it up?

2. If an interviewer does brings this up, what would be the best response? The times I've simply said I had to take time off because of personal reasons, they look at me like I was in rehab or something. But the times I tell them that I had to care for a sick parent, the interview usually turns awkward/uncomfortable.

I'm sure many of you have had to deal with similar situations...what did you do?

any advice would be much appreciated!
thanks

Aug 26, 09 6:14 pm
file

I've done lots of interviewing for my firm over the years. My advice is to be upfront and factual about the gap. You don't need to apologize for the situation or feel awkward about it ... you just need to be clear about why you were not in the workforce.

I've had candidates present similar situations to me in the past. It only becomes an issue if the gap is of long duration ... i.e. ten years or so ... and calls into question the candidate's current grasp of the state of the art as it exists at the time of the interview. This is particularly true for someone who has taken off 10-15 years to raise a child and hasn't worked outside the home at all during that entire period. But, that's not your situation.

Any firm that can't understand your situation probably isn't a firm where you'd want to work anyway.

Good luck.

Aug 26, 09 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
raj

it is a something you should tell but don't discuss. just say it and since it is a legit reason they will understand. you know it will be asked so prepare a brief sentence that answers it so you can move on.
good luck with the interview!

Aug 27, 09 8:38 am  · 
 · 
parkerm

thanks for your help guys

Aug 28, 09 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

tell them you were caring for a sick parent. it's something to be proud of. if that makes them uncomfortable, too bad for them.

Aug 28, 09 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

what if a prospective employer asks for a photo?

Aug 28, 09 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
simples

Orochi - that request says more about the employer than the photo would tell about you...

Parkerm - some good advice here; good luck on the interview.

Aug 28, 09 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: