Archinect
anchor

It's all about the benjamins...

usernametaken

I was just wondering: here, in the Netherlands, there is something called "CAO" - a collective payment agreement. That means that you can see what kind of job functions/responsibility you have, with how many years of experience doing that, and you can find out what would be a decent pay. In case of contract negotations with a (future) employer, you could win a bit, but you have a decent starting point for knowing where you stand, financially.

How does that function in other countries? How do you guess what salary to aim for? Are there similar systems in other countries?

Aug 25, 09 2:28 pm
whyARCH?

yes...it's called minimum wage, just kidding, but really in the U.S. there is no way of really making an employee give you more based on experience, meaning there is no agreement. There are plenty of websites though where you can put in your position..experience...where you live and it tells you about what you are worth, I guess you could take this to an employer and argue your case.

Aug 26, 09 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

The Department of Labor has a wage calculator of what jobs in a certain area, certain education level and certain experience should be paying.

<offtopic>I want to know when "experience" went from "general work experience" to specialized experience. I remember sitting around with my dad in the 80s/90s reading job ads. It seemed like back in the day, most people just wanted you to have worked. But now, it seems like they want a certain amount of experience in a very narrow field.</offtopic>

Aug 26, 09 1:00 am  · 
 · 
empea

just wondering - is there any architect's CAO information available in english?

Sep 9, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

just a quick scan of the The Royal Institute of Dutch Architects (bna) website didn't reveal it, I know you can order the CAO in a booklet in Dutch, but if you contact them I'm sure they can tell you if they have it in English as well or not. http://www.bna.nl/nl/contact

Sep 10, 09 12:45 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

you could try and contact the organisation (APA) at http://www.architectencao.nl/

Sep 10, 09 3:18 am  · 
 · 
empea

well the salaristabellen seem easy enough to decipher if you know the odd word of german with your english. what's less clear is how the group (salarisschaal) placement works? would be great if anyone had an example to give on this to put it in some sort of perspective (related to things like age, experience, level of education etc).

Sep 14, 09 7:49 am  · 
 · 
empea

just to revive this thread again - would be truly great if someone had even a tentative answer to this question. i think i would have a half idea if it were my own country so come on - no dutchmen/women in here?

Sep 18, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Ok, a short overview: there's a thing called the "handboek functieomschrijving", in which is written what "salarisschaal" corresponds with the kind of work you do / responsabilities you have. (it's also as a pdf to be read on the website above).

To give you an example: after graduation, as an "assistent", you start in G. A project leader might be in J, someone who's an associate might be in K, etcetera.
However, the thing to notice is that the division is rather old-fashioned: it is based on a clear division of tasks within an office. So it could in fact be that you do the design work of someone in scale J, have the client-contact of someone in K, and the direct leadership of someone in G. So in reality it's a bit more flexible...

Sep 19, 09 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
empea

thanks very much for that username, very useful. in a modern office i think it's pretty common to be performong tasks "across" formal scale boundaries. guess that what would be important in your cross-group example is to avoid being paid according to the lowest group out of which you perform tasks. anyway thanks!

Sep 22, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: