Archinect
anchor

3D All-in-one Drawings

j'aime

With certain offices producing three dimension drawings that can be used to produced digital fabricated scale models as well as the files to produce building components, used as contract drawings, used as collaborative efforts between architecture engineering and construction...etc etc..

SHoP i know have clearly stated that they avoid 2D representation if possible as it just doesn't work for them. In the search for complexity, three dimensions works better. Contractors have preferred their drawings so much, finding them easier to use. They received high praise and new commissions from contractors referrals by this new way of representation.

Similarly Thom Mayne's 2-4-6-8 house is not one i like as a project, but i love the exploded axo he produced for it to be built.
http://morphopedia.com/files/2-4-6-8-house-parts-drawing-1

Same with gehry's office, Regardless of the architecture, the way they draw their projects and represent is simply amazing!

I would like to know what are the most relevant drawings in 3D produced recently, or office that promote this way of working other than one's mentioned above.

Thanks guys!

Aug 18, 09 5:25 pm
el jeffe

2-4-6-8- was a morphosis project, not exclusively mayne.

the cd's for some of eric owen moss's older projects contain some really elegant hand-generated descriptive geometry.

Aug 18, 09 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
montu

"In the search for complexity, "

Aug 18, 09 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
j'aime

maybe a little different direction i am looking for, although i found the atelier bow wow example very interesting, similar interesting perspectives in the book function of ornament by moussavi.

but i am looking maybe more for offices that use 3d drawings to communicate with fabricating machines, and then drawings to communicate assembly. the idea that you don't need dimensions on your drawings as there not necessary... struggling to find that kind of stuff. :)

Aug 19, 09 3:12 am  · 
 · 
24-7tecture
IamGray

Definitely look at www.designtoproduction.ch

I've had the opportunity to see their work presented at a symposium on digital architecture, and Arnold Walz will be collaborating with my office on a future project.

Essentially designtoproduction develops and implements customized
parametric 3D-CAD models for design and manufacturing. They've been involved in a number of high profile projects such as Centre Pompidou Metz, and the Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart.

Aug 20, 09 4:23 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

You're having trouble finding that stuff because the majority of design oriented architects still concern themselves with expressionistic, faux-artsy activities like sketching.

SHoP, Gehry, Bernard Cache, Bill Massie are all at the top of the list as far as digital fabrication is concerned. And it's a short list.

Aug 21, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: