Archinect
anchor

Architecture Employment Agencies?

genassembly

As everyone who is reading this probably knows, the job market is empty right now. I'm not making ends meet financially and it seems to only be getting worse. I am realizing that I am going to have to go back to an office full time. (I've been consulting and freelancing for a couple of years)

My question to the general public is, does anyone know of any employment agencies that specialize in Architecture in the NYC area? Archinect and the other usual suspects for job searching is usually great, but in this kind of economy it would be good to have an agency with some connections to firms on my side looking for work...

Aug 18, 09 2:43 pm
plugnpla

They don't seem to be any help right now.

Aug 18, 09 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

consulting for architects (cons4arch.com) - although they are a little more helpful for someone at the management level.

Aug 18, 09 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
genassembly

Thanks. I've used consulting for archs before. They don't have a lot of work right now either.

That is the kind of thing I am looking for though. Anyone know any other places like that?

Aug 18, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
-jay

What Redo said.

I dont know about NYC, but in Chicago they are pretty useless. Most firms are getting more then enough unsolicited resumes and dont need to pay a company to find them potential employees. Also, I have a few friends who went through employment agencies before the market went south, and they didnt have the best experiences. In general, even the full-time salaried people got paid considerably less and had less benefits then the people who were hired directly by the company, and were the first people laid-off and not usually eligible for unemployment. The contract jobs can be kinda iffy too if they restrict you from working for anybody else (or even looking for other work) while you are under contract, especially if they cant promise you a full 40 hours, or definite contract duration.

Aug 18, 09 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

It was generally practice to hang up on placement agencies when they called at my old office.

Aug 18, 09 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
genassembly

Hmmm... I know they are far from the best option.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I just wanted to lay out every option out there.

Aug 18, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

I have been in the same boat. i have been looking for a job for over a 2months now and have had no progress. Me too looking for a good employment agency but dont seem to find much.

Being a recent graduate it is difficult to find a job!

Sep 13, 12 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

The best method is by foot.  Walk your resume and work examples in there, but don't expect to meet with the hiring manager.  Hand your items to the receptionist/studio manager and inform them that it is to reach the desk of the hiring manager.  Once they receive it, it will be automatically noticeable that there is no postage on the documents and that you have taken the time to bring it in personally.  Secondly, take the time to set up a type of form for your cover letter.  Most of it can be the same from firm to firm, however you'll want to show them that you're really interested in Them.  Other than that, understand that your resume and work examples Are your first interview, and that in this day and age you can expect no less than 2 in person interviews before being hired.  So ... Good Luck!

Oct 8, 12 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Aerotek didn't help me when I was job hunting. They actually laid off a few people from their architecture hiring division when the unemployment was much higher. I think they might be a little more helpful these days, because I have gotten a few calls from them regarding new positions. I have a job, so I didn't follow up, so I can't vouch for the likelihood of a call from them leading to a job. The office I work at also had someone placed in our office through them for a few months this year. They were in the <3 years experience range, if that helps. 

I would just exhaust every option you have, which is easier said than done. My unemployment, job hunt story was fairly depressing. I wish you a sincere good luck.

Oct 10, 12 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I am in NYC, I forgot to mention that in my ramble.

Oct 10, 12 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Hello all.  I know this is an obsolete post by now but it's 2013 and we have multiple openings.  [email protected]

www.cons4arch.com

Oct 11, 13 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: