Archinect
anchor

Discussing potential project with owner and developer

greenbuilder

If there is a potential client/owner that is associated with a developer, is it good practice to discuss the project with the developer in greater detail prior to reviewing with the owner? Shouldn't the developer have a good understanding of the project as the link between architect and owner anyways? Don't want to step on any toes and therefore put a bad light on our firm limiting its chances of landing the commission. Thoughts?

Aug 16, 09 7:11 pm
greenbuilder

both owner and client mentioned their project to me in passing, but whom should i follow up with first? owner or client?

Aug 16, 09 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Why not schedule a meeting with BOTH of them in the room at the same time? You could be the catalyst that both of them needs to start the project.

Aug 16, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Form follows funding. Talk directly with the owner.

The developer could, and probably will, cut you out.

Hell you could become the developer and cut the developer out. It really is not that hard.

Aug 16, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Why not schedule a meeting with BOTH of them in the room at the same time? You could be the catalyst that both of them needs to start the project.

Def not this. You don't want to share any information that could help the developer by having a joint meeting. Developer gets enough architectural info they might get an idea to do the project without you.

You need to convince the owner that they need yr services first.

Aug 17, 09 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
crave

I always thought the architect represents the owner/client. therefore, you should have a contract with the owner.

Aug 21, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: