Archinect
anchor

Reciprocal license - when do you need it?

designBandit

Hi everyone. I have a client whose project is in a state where I am not licensed. Right now we are in predesign. At what point do I need to have a license to offer architectural services? I seem to remember a previous employer being fined for not having a license very early in the design project and we weren't even doing CDs.

Aug 13, 09 12:00 pm
drums please, Fab?

if you sign a contract calling yourself the 'architect' then you (typically) need to be licensed in that state.

Aug 13, 09 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Bandit,
I've done couple of projects (child care centers), and most of them were same buildings, little bit modified and they were sometimes in different states. We would design the buildings and use it as a 'prototype' without stating where it is, or stating that it is in the state where we were licensed. While doing all of that we would get the licensure for that particular state and when we get it, then we would change address etc. for the building to be built in the state needed. So I guess there is ways around it if your license is not currently active in the state needed.

Aug 13, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

It seems that every state has a different set of laws and rules regarding this subject. Some states will consider you in violation their practice act if you even solicit architectural work in their jurisdiction before obtaining a license -- you don't even have to provide any services.

My advice -- go to that state's on-line website for the Board of Architecture and read the requirements. Then, let those requirements be your guide.

While you may think the chances of getting caught are slim, I know of some "horror stories" where local architects make it their business to report individuals they come across who seem to be operating in violation of that state's practice act. If caught and reported, the penalties - both $ and time - can be significant.

Aug 13, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

It is the only real reason to have NCARB. for a low fee you can gain reciprocity really early if you sence the need for the license.

Question,

if you own the land and are doing development for yourself. At what point have you crossed the line in performing architecture services in another state?

Aug 13, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Thanks everyone....

Poop, that's an interesting name, and an interesting way of getting around "practicing architecture" in an unlicensed state.

dsc, I think the rules differ for every state. For the state I was looking for, even doing preliminary sketches were considered practicing architecture.

One more related question for everyone....

When it comes to the hefty NCARB and state fees on an out of state project, do you bill that to your client under expenses, build it into the fee, eat the cost, etc?

Aug 21, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

designBandit: as a general rule, I think you will find that most firms will build the cost of licenses and fees into their overhead.

Aug 21, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: