Archinect
anchor

And you thought working for free was bad...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/business/09intern.html?em

"The program advertises a guaranteed internship placement, eight weeks of summer housing, five meals a week, seminars and tours around New York City for $7,999. It has a full-time staff of 45, and says it placed 1,600 student interns in 13 cities around the world this year, charging up to $9,450 for a program in London and as little as $5,499 in Costa Rica."

I know this sort of thing has been tangentially mentioned in other threads, but this is the first time I've heard about an actual pay-for-internship network. The article doesn't mention architecture directly, but I shudder to think of the implications of this kind of business model. Can we expect to see firms imposing a direct employment fee in the near future?

Aug 11, 09 6:17 pm
usernametaken

If people are willing to pay me 8000$ for a tour of Amsterdam, a spot to crash on my couch and a chance to do whatever I want you to do (from drawing whatever silly idea I might have for whichever competition to making me coffee), hoop me up! I might even put a pizza in the oven for you as an extra bonus...

Aug 11, 09 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

sounds like arcosanti

Aug 11, 09 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

kramerica

Aug 11, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

FLW ran his studio on what would be considered a pay-for-internship basis in today's terms.

Aug 12, 09 8:53 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Most of my friends in college were engineering majors. They all did internships and co-op's and were paid very well. Companies the likes of IBM, Caterpillar, Dell Computer, etc. would come to campus and interview. Pay at the time was around $20/hour and almost always the company had a fully furnished apartment they would let the interns use for free. (Starting post-graduation wages in Architecture at the time were $15/hr at the mid to high end.)

I realize that Architecture has not ever worked like this, but I do recall other corporate conglomerates and banking and finance companies coming to campus to interview. If an employer wants an intern or new hire they know where to find them. Then again if someone is going to give them the same intern for free, of course they'll bite. Middlemen like this working for a fee are worse than used care salesmen. Shady business people thru and thru. Architects have long been know of diluting the profession by working for "free" just for a line on a resume. Looks like it's spreading to other jobs in this economy. No wonder this is a jobless recovery.

Aug 12, 09 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Taliesin west is still run on per for internship

i know i have two friends their with free scholarship rides

Aug 12, 09 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: