Archinect
anchor

future shack_seattle

holz.box

for those of you in the seattle area, an upcoming event that may be worth attending (especially @ student prices)

13 sept, 5.00 pm
fischer pavilion @ seattle center
$12, $5 students/seniors and job seekers, brownpaper for early purchase

aia seattle/futureshack

future shack is:
A new residential architecture program for our times, Future Shack celebrates progressive solutions for urban living across a wide range of building types, budgets, constraints, and social agendas. Architects from around the region have submitted projects to the program which will be selected separately by two juries - one comprised of outspoken members of the public and another comprised of design professionals.

submittals are looking for criteria (here) that meet one or more of the following:

SOLUTIONS: residential projects that solve a difficult and complex set of problems for the families that live in them.

PAST FORWARD: designs that incorporate the historic fabric into a
forward-looking housing solution.

EQUAL NOT SEPARATE: innovative approaches to economic inclusion in housing.

SPECIAL DELIVERY: new models for the production and delivery of
housing.

ECONOMY: economical use of resources resulting in exemplary residential design.

ADAPTABILITY: residential design solutions that are flexible and able to adapt to changing uses over time.

online gallery

moderator:
weekday's steve scher

public jury:
crosscut's knute berger

seattle neighborhood council's kent kammerer

windermere's bob melvey

pro jury:
pugh + scarpa's angela brooks

UBC's larry beasley

pdx developer kevin cavenaugh

former pdx planning director gil kelley

i spent a little bit perusing the 70+ submitted projects. i've also toured a number of these buildings, and have two things to say.

one, there are a lot of decent architects in seattle. yes, several of these projects are more than 4 years old and probably shouldn't have been submitted, but i don't have final say in that (this time!)

two, although there are a lot of decent architects, i don't really feel many of these projects hit one futureshack criteria, if not more than one, effectively. i wonder if there was confusion as to what should be submitted v. what was submitted.

that being said, here is a quick look at potential frontrunners...

solutions
workshop a/d's colman triplex
multifamily is a huge struggle in the northwest. we don't really have a typology to build upon, beyond crappy post-war apartments and single family houses as far as the eye can see. workshop's solution for a conversion seems to fit rather well and allows a multitude of options for expansion/contraction.

carsten stinn's lakeview lofts
a fresh break from the typical banal developer-projects all over seattle. has a nice shared court, fits very well within the context of the (eastlake) neighborhood. the scale reminded me of some projects i really appreciated visiting when living abroad. a really outstanding street presence. the project has submitted for LEED platinum, but would have been better to shoot for minergie or passivhaus. anyone know if carsten is hiring? wir koenen gute architektur machen und englisch oder deutsch sprechen. sheissegal.

b9's urban canyon
there is something about this project i find appealing. the scale and sense of community of this project are incredibly intimate. the interior courtyard is a pleasant space and seems to be a place hertzberger would adore. what really irks me about this project, though, is really poor details, some poor material choices and awkward roof forms - though this is universal w/ almost all of b9's projects.

past forward
tyler engle's madrona live/work
this selection is pretty much a default since almost all the projects are new construction and the ones that aren't ain't too great. details are o.k. if not a little fussy.

equal not separate
weinstein a|u's agnes lofts
probably the only project that's attainable to those w/ a median income (though by no means is it affordable). massing isn't awful and the location is pretty hard to beat.

special delivery
HyBrid's remington lofts
though i'm not sold on the design of the project, the delivery and construction definitely push the local norms. the flexibility designed into the project is also a nice touch. all 4 units selling out in less than 2 weeks speaks of the success HyBrid pulled off with this project.

economy
hutchison & maul's house for a mother and daughter
pound for pound, i don't know if any other submission is as creative, or intense, at keeping costs to a minimum. windows are same size, all wood exterior, simple construction, simple finishes... this project typifies the scale and standard holz wishes he was pumping out. this also happens to be one of my favorite houses in wallingford. and probably my most admired firm in seattle right now.

adaptability
the previously discussed remington court and colman triplex seem to be the most meritous int his category.

interspersed are some great moments, but the projects as a whole are lacking:

chadbourne + doss, best architect's conference room

vandeventer + carlander, best facade

webster wilson, best stair

tyler engle, best prefab look-alike

greaham baba, best use of a german product

hey, and holz even got some recognition, even if it is for a project he'd rather not admit to working on :)

Aug 11, 09 2:51 am
e

e is digging the hutchinson & maul too. love them. love the house. i admire it every morning when the dog gets her walk.

Aug 11, 09 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm in!

Aug 11, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, that's nice ed. although i get to walk my dog by a pretty sweet project as well, it's not the best swiss-esque monopoly house this side of the atlantic, but it's pretty friggin awesome. sometimes, we even watch packs of foreign architects partake in drive-by-shootings.

Aug 13, 09 1:59 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

holz why aren't you admitting to working on it?! I saw this and thought it looked super cool. Maybe if I'm still not busy by then I'll come up and check it out...

Aug 13, 09 3:01 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

cos my boss was a prick, it's not that great of a project, i didn't do much c.a. and it's not even in my 'ficcial 'folio!

if it wasn't on a monday night, i'd be a definite yes.

Aug 13, 09 3:19 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I think you hit the nail on the head.

When I first read the statement for this back when it was announced I couldn't think of many Seattle projects (or firms) that really met the req.s the organizers were looking for.

I feel like the majority of firms/Architects here are more concerned with a local style then with any sort of critical thought about design/use (perhaps this is just personal experience...then again it seems to be mentioned by every single honor awards jury)

All of these are fairly aesthetically pleasing but there really isn't much 'meat' here as far as discussions of future housing solutions go.

Aug 13, 09 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh, there really isn't any meat as far as future housing goes, that's what's so odd about all the submissions.

and yeah, the last 3 honor award juries that i have gone to have commented on the lack of thought/intent/critique.

i think the JPR one was especially fitting:
[i]For a city with such strengths - education, culture, natural environment, wealth - the jury hoped to see more evidence of leadership and risk, and less comfort with an already well-digested regional design language. Great architecture occurs when a great designer creates new opportunity."

Aug 14, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bump and correction, this is on a sunday night

Sep 4, 09 5:48 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

winners...

via seattle times

ruffcorn mott hinthorne stine, 5th & madison

miller|hull, sky ranch

gglo, cobb building

prentiss architects, mambo palazzo

b9, urban trees

workshop a|d, colman triplex

bcj, envelope house

smr, pantages apartments

adams mohler ghillino, flip-flop house

johnston, boulders @ green lake

ross chapin, danielson grove

that last one looks like a thomas kinkade painting. all in all, a pretty disappointing group of winners, but not surprising given the disappointing submissions...

Sep 16, 09 3:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: