Archinect
anchor

Wage HELP NEEDED!

ham-ARC

My partner and I have recently obtained a couple projects which both need bids.

The first project involves a 1915's house in the Whilsire area which is two stories and around 2850 sqft. The clients wants to keep most of the original structure, envelope, and not move too many walls around. Also while changing the single-family house into a duplex. One unit on top and one on the bottom floor. We pretty much just need to switch the program around to accommodate the two units. Simple job but not enough experience on how to bid this project with the right numbers. The client needs a quote to let us know if we have the job and if its within her budget. So WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO BID? dollars per sqft / hourly / or percentage of building cost ?

The second project is just creating a set of as-built drawings. So WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO BID? dollars per sqft / hourly / or percentage of building cost ?

Aug 7, 09 10:46 pm
poop876

It is hard sometimes without experience to bid out on a project. Personally I always do hourly since I know "exactly" how long it would take to finish the project. With the hrs I would calculate the total sum to finish the project and that would be my billing amount. I add some extras just to cover any additional costs.

Again, this is how I do it but you can do it other ways too.

Aug 8, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Our practice does a lot of renovations. Over the past 11 years we have tried every sort of biiding for work. About three years ago we moved to to doing everything on a t&M basis.

For permit sets without a tremendous amount of detail and no CCA, we would be about 85-110 hours. So we would offer a range say, about $8-10K.

Note: this does not count any admin for zoning issues. Does the zoning allow the conversion to a duplex?

For an as built on cut up houses, we run about 30 hours and charge at an intern rate of $75.00.

Aug 9, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
binary

time and material with a deposit...

you HAVE to get a budget from them first to see if they even have the cash to do the project. find out their range and work from there.

Aug 9, 09 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Every single as-built drawings I have worked on have been charged hourly.

Aug 11, 09 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: