Archinect
anchor

Kraftmaid cabinets

aking

Is it me or is the cabinet type/size pdf no longer on their website? I freaking reference this so much and now I can't find it. Please help

Aug 5, 09 2:33 pm
aking

Called Kraftmaid. They no longer have cabinet specs on their website and referred me to a dealer. Looks like I will be spec'ing Thomasville!

Aug 5, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
aking

Nevermind. My boss doesn't want to spec Thomasville. Does someone have a pdf of kraftmaid cabinet specs?

Aug 5, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

They do publish spec books, though that have every size/option/etc. Can you get your hands on those? We got them through our rep, who is invaluable in the process IMO.

Aug 5, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
aking

okay so I have calmed down a bit. Apparently there is a new kraftmaid specs website with the info I need. It would of been extra nice if the kraftmaid website or the kraftmaid rep would have referred me there.

http://kraftmaidspec.com/

Thanks too LB. We used to have a spec book but I am unable to find it. (I blame the men in the office), (it was probably a man who took the specs off the site and created a new site too)

Aug 5, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

What's everyone's feeling on the quality of Kraftmaid products?

We have a modern job that we're trying to do on the cheap. Slab cherry doors, flush details, which it seems you can do with Kraftmaid.

Is it sturdy? How expensive relative to a true custom cabinet shop?

Apr 3, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

I've been happy with the Kraftmaid in my own kitchen for five years. We have flush birch (poplar?) that we ordered unfinished and painted ourselves. Holding up very well - no drawer slide problems, a few doors need adjustment, but mostly in very good shape.

We also do Kraftmaid for a lot of clients. They are not super cheap, but are good enough quality for people who aren't ready to spend more than $30K on cabinets - the same in Euro would be almost twice as much, the same true custom would be more than twice as much.

Just handle the parts wisely. Go over the list three times with your rep, draw everything in axon if you can. It's possible to do Kraftmaid very nicely if you put some thought into it.

I'm not crazy about any of their hood surrounds, though.

Don't get Venecia - I think they cancelled that line due to quality issues. Looked fantastic going in, then got beat up pretty easy.

Apr 3, 10 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Does anyone have suggestions for other semi-custom national cabinet makers besides Kraftmaid?

I have some people asking me after they got, in their opinion, outrageous quotes on Kraftmaid from Lowes. ($2500 for 10' of base cabinets.) Not doing residential I have no idea if that's a fair price or not.

Apr 7, 10 9:15 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

That same 10' might cost $6000 from a custom cabinet-maker, so $2500 isn't bad (depending on finish and fit, of course. Did you use MDF with laminate top, or solid cherry? Cabinetry can generate HUGE differences in price depending on finish.)

Apr 8, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

PS, on my two most recent custom house jobs, cabinetry was the single largest line item after framing and foundation. In one case, $120,000 worth of cabinetry.

Apr 8, 10 9:29 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it ain't custom, but for the price, it's hard to beat ikea.

as an aside, "custom" doesn't have to be pricey. it's all in what you draw. if you use mdf with laminate finishes and simple details, a millwork shop can do that in the same ballpark range as off-the-shelf. i think sometimes people get too hung up on the word "custom" rather than the product that is actually being made.

Apr 8, 10 11:14 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

That $2500 quote was for 4 - 30" wide base cabinets, single drawer with doors below and NO countertop. Maple veneer, standard stain, standard shaker style, no upgrades and no pull hardware.

Personally, for a catalog item like that over $600 a cabinet sounded expensive for a non-complex piece like that. I don't necessarily blame the owner from balking at that price. Last I heard they are looking into custom millwork shops.

Do any of these big cabinet makers offer A&D discounts? How do Architect's remodel their own kitchens and baths?

Apr 8, 10 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

aqua, for my own kitchen I want to buy a store display or otherwise "used" cabinets.

Apr 8, 10 11:51 am  · 
 · 

aqua, you mentioned this was through Lowe's? Can they work with an independent rep to lower the markup?

That said: $250/lf is cheap. Seriously, it's nothing. I paid $280/lf for Kraftmaid through Lowe's four years ago - and those were unfinished maple we put the paint on ourselves. Tell your clients/friends to either go to Ikea or stop worrying.

Apr 8, 10 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Kraftmaid is fine for me and the people I know but my clients wouldn't put that in their in laws suites.

Apr 8, 10 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

can you use farm sinks with kraftmaid sink cabinets....

Apr 9, 10 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: