Archinect
anchor

Requirements for residential Bar

Lin'gua

Hi,

I have been assigned to work out the requirements for a residential bar counter which has no back stand (by that I mean to say that the counter is free standing and has the storage built into it) and I have been searching the net and the graphic standards for some sort of equipment list and dimensional drawings in order to analyze the volumetric requirements of the bar. If any of you guys could direct me to a free website or online resource it would be extremely helpful to me. [P.S our clients are mainly wine consumers who party a lot they are movie producers and entertain movie stars, businessmen etc.]

Oct 19, 04 4:27 am
archiphreak

buy a bottle of wine and a wine glass...measure them...figure out how many you need and there is your volumetric measurement...or go to pier one and measure a wine rack

Oct 19, 04 9:13 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Check U-Line or Marvel's websites for under-counter refrigerators, wine coolers and clear ice maker dimensions and mechanical requirements.

Typically under-counter units are sized to fit under a 3' counter height so they are in the neighborhood of 2'-10 1/2" tall. Under-counter refrigerators and wine coolers are typically 24" wide and ice makers are typically 15" wide.

If you are designing a high-end residential bar make sure you get a clear ice cube maker. U-Line, Marvel and Sub-Zero all make clear ice cube makers. Clear ice is made by laying down sheets of water opposed to filling an entire void and freezing it. In addition to being clear (visually more "pure") clear ice is also free of ambient smells and taste and is considered the norm for commercial and nicer residential situations.

Oct 19, 04 9:25 am  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

If you can get your hands on this book you're golden. Everything in it has a modernist (international) persuasion. Great space/storage planning diagrams.....
link

Oct 19, 04 10:31 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Just visit a couple of wine bars and measure! Nothing like field research.

Oct 19, 04 10:43 am  · 
 · 
A

I just designed a bar for a friends house. The upper bar top was all custom - length/width/height. Basically had my friend sit at some bars and tell me what he liked, disliked and came up with dimensions from that. All the casework behind the bar was custom built stuff that would normally go into a kitchen. The wine cooler came from Kitchen Aid - my brand of choice when working on residential. All came together like a dream.

I think what you need to note with a bar is that there really are no rules. Having been a patron of so many I've noticed about everything done. Talk to your clients. Enjoy a bottle of wine with them. Really understand what they are looking for.

Oct 19, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Lin'gua

Hi, Thanks guys sorry for not getting back earlier but i was ill soo could not logg on. thanks for all your suggestions they were really helpful.

Oct 27, 04 4:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: