Archinect
anchor

Advantages of Experience with M.Arch?

dallasarchitect

I'm working on my M.Arch degree. My question, after reading all of these posts, is - do you all think that my having studied business as well as a BFA in Interior Architecture & Design, having run my own interior design business for 10 years overseeing staff, running the office, marketing, etc. as well of course as project management, design, designing remodels of homes (interior and exterior as well as construction), being an expert in BIM, CAD, 3D rendering, Photoshop, etc. and then also having my M.Arch degree will give me any advantage when I graduate with my M.Arch degree in terms of garnering a higher salary than most interns/newbies just starting out in a firm?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jul 30, 09 6:07 pm
iheartbooks

yes. why wouldn't it?

Jul 30, 09 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

higher salary than most interns/newbies?!?! ...umm i think your 10 years experience in BIM CAD 3D and photoshop should cover that ...

I mean what do you want to do? Get registered? Eventually start an Arch/ID firm?

I think the degree will get you in touch with some good professors that can land you the job that you really want... I could be wrong here but interms of money ..i think youll prob make the same amount coming out with an MARCH than if you were to start right now ...the degree would just let you work on more interesting projects

Jul 30, 09 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

Well, I thought in order to be registered I had to have an M.Arch degree? I mean I do not have an "Architecture" degree, I have a BFA in "Interior Architecture and Design" certainly not the same a B.Arch. degree. I want to be an Architect not simply an Interior Designer. The degree I have in Interior Design is not NAAB recognized, it's only recognized by FIDER (for interior designers).

Sooo, since my M.Arch. degree IS recognized by NAAB I'll be able to be an architect. If I were to work for a firm right now I would only be able to do interior design, etc. not architecture at least that's my thinking. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it!

Jul 31, 09 3:15 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

I think you are wrong. If you get hired by an architecture firm there will be other registered architects who actually stamp the drawings and are then liable. Many non architects can still work on the design. It is true that you can't call yourself an Architect until you are registered but you can still design architecture. You can also become a registered architect after working under an architect for 12 years (or something like that) if you don't have a professional degree. Check the NAAB requirements.

However, I think this is a pretty mute discussion seeing as you are already in school working on your degree. So finish up your masters and go get a job. Of course your previous experience will help you find one and probably get you a higher salary. There isn't much questions there.

Jul 31, 09 5:25 am  · 
 · 
outthere

Talkitect is right its 12 years before you can sit for the exams with out a bachelors degree(depends on the state reqs)... I have a BS in Arch and i can get licensed after 5 years of working for a registered architect in my state. Your state might give you some credit for your degree.

You def. can be an architect just not a registered architect without a MARCH degree ..so if you want to get registered and meet some contacts the degree maybe the way to go

Jul 31, 09 8:19 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
"...will give me any advantage when I graduate with my M.Arch degree in terms of garnering a higher salary than most interns/newbies just starting out in a firm?"

although having experience can be personally fulfilling and may make a candidate for a job more attractive than others, i'm skeptical that it would translate into a higher salary for an entry level/intern job. put yourselves in an employer's shoes for a moment; sure you'd love to (hypothetically) have a broadly talented superstar as your intern...but are you really willing to pay that person any more when there are easily 10 other candidate who also fit the minimum job descriptions and are perfectly capable of delivering whatever productivity is needed out of that intern position?

extra experience might help you get a job, but it may not offer any significant advantage in terms of entry level pay.

Jul 31, 09 9:52 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

but with the experience he/she hight not be an entry level intern. With 10 years of design experience you can probably jump up the latter a bit thus making a higher salary. Looking at it from an employer's perspective...they wouldn't hire someone with loads of experience to just be an intern.

Jul 31, 09 9:58 am  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

Great feedback. Good points too. Thank you so much - i feel much better now that I am on the right path for me (as if I had a choice I can't imagine doing anything else). I'm very optimistic about my future now.

Thanks!

Jul 31, 09 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: