Archinect
anchor

custom extruded aluminum tube welded joint exterior frame for building facade

cloak and dagger

Hi all, looking for fabricators of custom aluminum welded frames for exterior building facade application on a mid-rise building. Steel is most likely too heavy and expensive for this application.

Anyone know of resources for this?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 28, 09 2:57 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

cloak, i would think any storefront/curtain wall fabricator or even metal fabricator can handle this.

Jul 28, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I don't know about its use in architectural applications, but in every other instance I can think of, aluminum is more expensive than steel, and definitely more expensive to have welded.

But then, I could be wrong. I might learn something today.

Jul 28, 09 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i would think there's a lot more connections and allowances for expansion, but couldn't most of the frame be shop fabricated, and limit the expense?

Jul 28, 09 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

cloak,
I've designed many buildings that would require custom welding/fabrication and we mostly used curtain wall manufacturers to get this done. They will fabricate what you design and they usually come back with some suggestions to keep the cost down. When locally we've used Kawneer but I've done couple of projects overseas and when it came down to bidding Shenyang Yuanda came up with the best price and we've used them on couple of projects. They get the drawings done pretty fast based on your own sketches/cad drawings and they will send you all the details and pricing within a week usually. I would draw up whatever you want manufactured and get in touch with Yuanda and see what they can come up with.

tb3tadine is right with the suggestion to use curtain wall manufactures because they will take into consideration all the factors like expansion etc. I'm not sure what exactly your design intention is but I would try that. It should work!

Jul 28, 09 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Prouve.

Jul 28, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
hype04

cloak.
you are in los angeles?
get in touch with ramsey at breakformdesign, el segundo.
sci-arc grad.
his shop is capable of handling this kind of work.

Jul 29, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 
binary

are they extrusions?

Jul 29, 09 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

never mind... i missed the 'extruded' part in the title..sometimes i speed read...hahah

i would go to a curtain wall shop...especially if it has to keep water out

Jul 29, 09 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

thanks for all the suggestions and help, much much appreciated.

The sytem is essentially a large profile "screen" (if you will) for the facade. It is outbound of the curtain and looks like we would hang it from slab edges with steel connections at every other floor.

1 "frame component" would span 2 floors vertically (7.2 meter) and 2 modules wide (10.0 meter).

6 varied frame components make-up 1 repeating pattern. The size of the overall pattern is (21.6 meter hieght x 20.0 meter wide) The pattern repeats itself 9 times along the vertical and 8 times along the horizontal of the entire building facade.

The members within 1 "frame component" might be 300mm x 300mm tube extrusions. Shop and on-site fabrication required.

thanks again, i'll look into all of these suggestions.

hype04 I am based in LA, i'll check out breakformdesign for other custom work as well...

Jul 29, 09 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: