Archinect
anchor

PACIFIC NORTHWESTERNERS! Holla!

WonderK

Hi friends, WonderK here. I've recently launched an Unemployment Tour of the West Coast in an effort to, well, find employment. I'm currently in Portland with rough plans to move on to Seattle eventually, unless I am lucky enough to stumble into some sort of job before I cross the Oregon-Washington state line. Anyone else around? What're your situations like? Wanna grab a beer? Leave me a note here or message me. I would love to hear from you!

Jul 14, 09 1:36 pm
WonderK

Oooh I'm so glad I didn't screw that link up.

Jul 14, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Hey, Emily,

I'll be in Portland from August 3-10, and would be glad to meet up if you're still in the Rose City then.

Jul 14, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

We're a little more north of the pacific and a little more inland if yo make it this far.

Jul 14, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

whistler, by any chance would you be in Whistler, BC, Canada? Don't know why I would think that, LOL.

Hi citizen! I'll let you know if I'm still around then. It's really gorgeous here and there are bikers everywhere so I already feel at home....fingers crossed :o)

Jul 14, 09 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

I am exiting the PNW next thursday morning... you going to make it to Seattle by then?

Jul 14, 09 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

didja get a job, rationalist?!?

Jul 14, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was reading about a drug war in vancouver.

Jul 14, 09 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist, how are you exiting? Driving, flying, riding a horse? I don't think I'll be up there by that time :o/

Jul 15, 09 1:17 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

wk,

if you're in pdx for a while and have a ride, you should head out to maryhill and the dalles for a day.

Jul 15, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

holz, what happens there?

Jul 15, 09 1:51 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

maryhill has a really interesting museum & sculpture garden. some really good hiking trails and scenery between the two...

Jul 15, 09 1:56 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh cool. Thanks.

Jul 15, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It's hard to pick a bad day trip destination from Portland, but my personal favorite is the Opal Creek Wilderness in Marion County, maybe about an hour southeast of PDX a few miles off I-5. It's one of the only remaining old-growth forests in Oregon, and the trees are gargantuan. (Think Endor from Return of the Jedi.) There are also some nice waterfalls and rivers with crystal-clear water, dramatic canyons, Gold Rush mining colony artifacts, and a nature center at Jawbone Flats (via a 3-mile hike on an easy trail through stunning forests).

Jul 15, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

yup!

Jul 15, 09 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh yeah, aalto should be on yer list as well...

Jul 15, 09 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's right! Mount Angel Abbey Library is a must-see. Absolutely beautiful building in Saint Benedict, maybe an hour south of PDX.

The clean, bright, sweeping modern interior was contrasted by a tiny, tiny nun-librarian in full habit when I was there. Funny.

Well worth the trip.

Jul 15, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

citizen, when i last went, there was a group of monks hanging out under the skylight. unfortunately, i couldn't get the lighting just right (it was too sunny) - or maybe god was messing w/ my light meter.

Jul 15, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

No photographing of monks allowed. Sorry ;-)

Jul 15, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

holz, no unfortunately. Nobody in Seattle is hiring environmental graphic designers... I know, I've called the likely suspects! There's just not enough work, except for interaction and web design. And my lease is up at the end of the month, so I'm going to lay low in Phoenix with family while I continue the job hunt. The few leads I have are out of town, so there's nothing in particular to stick around for.

DubK, I am exiting by budget rental truck. I think I'm stopping in NorCal one night, then SoCal the next.

Jul 16, 09 12:52 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalista, do you know what day you're leaving? Maybe you can stop and get gas down the street from me so I can buy you a Coke or something? :o)

citizen and holz, Aalto you say!?! I will have to check this out. Thanks!

I like how everyone calls it PDX. It's a cute nickname.

Jul 16, 09 2:14 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

...And yes, I know *why* they call it PDX, I'm just saying.

Jul 16, 09 2:14 am  · 
 · 
n_

I'll be in Seattle on Sunday trying to find a place to live. DubK, will you be in town?

Jul 16, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Nope, n_, I'll be camping on Mt. Hood! Wish me luck, it's my first "real" camping trip in years. Although my friend and I are both lamenting the fact that our iPhones will die unless we get car chargers, LOL.

Jul 16, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh look it's been a year and I'm still here! Anyone else in the PNW want to grab a beer? I'm not going anywhere so let me know :o)

Awww yay! I definitely still need to do some of the things on that list up there. I am going to try them over Labor Day Weekend!

Aug 26, 10 1:52 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I've been living in PDX since Oct. of last year. Still gainfully unemployed, although I almost landed a great gig in Seattle last week (damn you winning candidate with risk management skills).

I would love to grab a beer with a fellow architectoid. DJ dub (Emily I guess?), I'm in NW but can bike to any beer location within 15 mile radius (except over the hill, or anything else in Beaverton direction). Let me know!

M

Aug 26, 10 2:51 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

beaverton should be avoided at all costs!

steel, have you made it to mt angel library yet? sorry to hear you didn't land that gig.

Aug 26, 10 3:22 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Beaverton, LOL.

steelstuds, yes, let's do get a beer! Do you have plans for happy hour tomorrow? I work Downtown but live in Goose Hollow so we're pretty close. And yes my name is Emily ;-) Message me!

Aug 26, 10 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Hi Dubz!

Aug 26, 10 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi Appleseed! :oP

Aug 27, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

come on up to Seattle Dub!

Aug 27, 10 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Just a thought, but we should put together a PDX meetup.

Anyone interested?

Sep 20, 10 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes!

Sep 20, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Sweet, any ideas about venues? I live in NW, but it doesn't need to be over there...

Sep 20, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll do PDX. But we can't call it a meetup. Sounds too much like work. Since every gathering around here turns into a beer festival, let's just be honest and call it that!

Sep 20, 10 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'm in NW as well. DJ Dub is almost in NW as well. Let's do it!

Sep 20, 10 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

If we're all in NW then maybe we should drink up there? North 45?

Sep 20, 10 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

North 45 sounds good to me! Never been in the back patio. Any day is good with me. DJ dub? What's your schedule like?

Sep 20, 10 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Any day works for me too!

Sep 20, 10 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oooh I've heard good things about North 45. I think we should time this to coincide with holz's next trip down. Holz? Holz? You there?

Sep 20, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

my next trip down won't be til nov 4th, the passivhaus conference... but i'd be game. don't wait on me, though...

Sep 20, 10 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Friday November 5th? We could pregame it sometime in October?

Sep 20, 10 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I'm always up for pregaming!

Sep 21, 10 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I always thought SF was a better place to look for a job compared to PDX or SEA. But thats my opinion circa 2006. Here I am nestled into a great job in Berkeley, CA going on 4 years now. Good luck, and shoot an email if you make it down to SF, we have beer!

Sep 21, 10 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

Hey holz.box, I'll be at the Passive House conference, too. Be nice to meet some archinectors in person.

Sep 21, 10 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Where is this death-box conference happening in PDX? Do I need to be hazed in order to attend? I love meeting new cults! Long walks in the rain as well!

THEaquino, I sent you a message seeing if you wanted to grab a pint. Not sure if you got it... it was written with Wingdings. sorry.

Sep 21, 10 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OldFogey! You're back! In the words of Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there".

Would anybody be interested in pregaming with karaoke on my birthday?

Sep 22, 10 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

When's your b-day? I want to go to there. Never finish a sentence with a proposition at?

I'll totally dedicate (and perform) "Highway to the danger zone" for you!

Sep 22, 10 12:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh dear... October 8th. Mark it dudes.

Sep 22, 10 1:14 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

10.08.2010 karaoke....i'm in!

We should meet first though, so that when I belt out "Bed of Roses" by Bon Jovi it won't get weird.

And if you're gonna got Top Gun...why not "You've lost that lovin' feeling"?

Sep 22, 10 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

THEaquino, I emailed you... did you get it?

Sep 23, 10 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: