Archinect
anchor

PACIFIC NORTHWESTERNERS! Holla!

jplourde

I'm curious as to how people [read:practicing architects] find Portland?

I've heard good things about how it's super progressive in terms of cycling and food...

But how is the architect climate? Is anything being built in the city itself? Do local architects ever work abroad, either nationally or internationally?

Sep 23, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Compared to the other places I've lived (SF, Boston, Long Island) I LOVE the food (and drink) scene in Portland. From the food carts all over town, the bars and pubs, and the fancier places, Portland has a lot of awesome food.

The Farmers' markets and CSA's around mean that we haven't been to a grocery store in months. That'll probably change with winter, but there are enough local/sustainable markets to buy groceries.

The fact that the streetcar is essentially free, makes getting around (on the west side anyway) really easy. It's a great walking/riding city as well.

As far as architecture goes...there's decent enough stuff getting built. But as with anywhere right now, the industry is HURTING.

There are a number of firms doing work outside of Portland, TVA, ZGF, Allied Works, SERA, Boora, THA, LRS (or LSW I can never keep them straight), are all doing work elsewhere and those are the ones off the top of my head.

Sep 23, 10 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

mmmm, interesting, TA [sorry, i shorten everyone's moniker, because 'really?!']

well, i dont really know what to say in response to your post. i mean, im definitely looking for a glocal situation, but it seems 'glocal' was a construct that never became a reality. looks like brooklyn it is. for now at least.

Sep 23, 10 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll second TA's observations about Portland.

I disagree about stuff being built. The local arch industry is all but completely dead. There's has been almost nothing new built in the last year or so. The prospect of finding work in this city is beyond bleak. It makes Seattle look like a boom town.

Also, Portland is overrated. There's a lot of specialty magazines based in this city (travel, food, beverage), so the city just gets disproportionate coverage in the media. It's a nice little city, mind you, but it comes up in random lists much too often. Cycling friendliness is waaaaaay overrated.

It's relatively inexpensive to live here, which is a major positive in trying to weather out a recession. It's urban enough for you not to need a car. The city is full of over-educated, under-employed youngsters. Your barista has a PHD in Latin.

Oh, it's also the whitest town this side of eastern europe you'll ever see. The neverending rain will make you go crazy (crazy people will tell you that you will get used to it).

Previously I've lived in Brooklyn for many years and have seen that city go from awesome to insultingly expensive. I feel really bad for my arch buddies there who are under- or un-employed.

Current cost of living in Portland reminds me of Brooklyn circa 2000. Ahhh those were the days...

Sep 23, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

ss, well thought and pertinent to be sure. for the record 'bk' was just a benchmark, i used to live there, but not anymore. guess there seems to be a trifecta between sf and pl and bk, but im not advocating one or the other, to be sure. of course there's no perfect city for any person [ let alone architect] so perhaps we should just leave it at that, seems the US in general is a no-go for now anyhow.

Sep 23, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

so... how's things up there? Should I wander back up or stay put in the sun?

Nov 8, 10 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Things are great! Do you really want me to try to convince you? Because I am more than happy to launch into my "you never get back what you put into the system in Los Angeles" speech but I feel like you know that spiel already. :o)

Nov 9, 10 12:03 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ha, i have the same feelings about the NW, EmK.

carrot, we can switch. i might need to move down to socal. blah.

Nov 9, 10 12:39 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

I love that we can all tell who's actually met me by the things they call me... nobody who hadn't would know to call me "carrot."

EmK, I'm really super on the fence about things. I know that if I wait it out it'll become clearer but can't help but worry about it in the meantime. You know how I obsess.

Nov 9, 10 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ha, i completely meant copper, i swear!

Nov 9, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

I just moved to Portland a month ago. Have a part time job promoting a design competition - The Holcim Awards US -but am looking for a full time architecture job. They are tough to come by these days. Still, like most people, I moved here for the amazing quality of life and stunning landscapes. Can't wait to get out of the city to hike/snow shoe!

Nov 9, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: