Archinect
anchor

Consulting firms

mirrored

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here knew of an architect that has worked for a large consulting firm like McKinsey or BCG? I know some of these companies have real estate or design consulting services and it doesn't seem too far a stretch that an architects might work at firms like these.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

m

Jul 13, 09 10:51 pm
outed

don't know anyone who worked at those places but i do have a friend who spent 8 years at accenture (he did 4 years of architecture before that). he's since come back into architecture, straight into a principal managing role at a firm. i think he enjoyed his experiences there, although they weren't architecture or building related. what he did learn was management, business development, strategic thinking, etc. he left because he was at the point where he'd have to 'decide' which way to go inside accenture, sort of like deciding to be more of a career project manager or a principal. he definitely made more money there than in architecture, although he's pulling 200K (well, not this year) yearly in his new role. he was probably pulling mid 300's doing the consulting.

from what i know, it can be a great gig if you have the mindset. not everyone does, nor do they have the skillsets to survive in that environment. it's very competitive (but also collaborative) doing what you do - if you're going to attract clients, which is the only way get the real bonus, you have to be crazy good at networking and getting companies to spend lots of money on you. not always easy...

Jul 14, 09 8:53 am  · 
 · 
mirrored

hmm. that's a helpful response. just out of curiosity, do you know in what capacity your friend was working at accenture?

Jul 14, 09 10:23 am  · 
 · 
outed

he did innovation/organizational management for different companies, although none were design related.

i mentioned ideo and greenway - there's also zweig white which does this sort of thing for the design world. i'm sure there are some other smaller companies as well, but by and large the major consulting firms have no interest in the design world. not enough fees.

Jul 14, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

i remember reading on some GSD booklet of where they grads end up and some percentage between 1-5 end up in consulting offices and gave an e.g. as Accenture

Jul 17, 09 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: