Archinect
anchor

Question about Interior Architects

Ryan002

Hi everyone.

I know the difference between an interior designer and an interior decorator. However, I have recently seen the term "interior architect" becoming popular. I don't know if it's new, but I haven't encountered it until recently.

After browsing the web for a bit, it seems that Interior Architect and Interior Designer may be interchangeable terms. Am I right in thinking that, or is there something I am missing?

If they are interchangeable, how did the the term "interior architect" come about, and is there any reason for the change? 

Jun 6, 11 11:34 pm
tbone

There are a few programs out there for a M.Int.Arch, but I don't see the point.  Many places are trying to re-brand themselves as "Interior Architecture" firms because essentially that is what you go to school for interior design to do...otherwise it is just decoration.  

As a proper interior designer, one should be familiar with millwork detailing, space planning, electrical and plumbing, making finishes fit together seamlessly, etc.  These are all architectural elements in an interior space, hence "interior architecture."  You wouldn't believe how annoying it is to explain to people that, "no, I did not go to school for 4 years to learn to pick out colors and furniture."  The decoration element (known as FF&E) is part of being a designer, but if that is all one does, they don't need a degree or a title.

Jun 7, 11 1:44 am  · 
 · 
druf

Basically an Interior Designer has the ability to place walls, shape space, etc... as long as it is non-structural.  They should be competent in life safety and interior environment codes.  They also would have a professional license, although less than maybe 10 states have this designation.

An Interior Decorator should be limited to paint colors, furniture, and finishes.

Jun 19, 11 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: