Archinect
anchor

Concurrent IDP and ARE in NYC/NY state

SullivanJ

Has anyone in NY taken sections of the ARE berfore finishing IDP? If so, I was wondering if there was anything special you had to do. I have my M.Arch degree from an accredited university so I am not sure if they want to see proof of that. I am going to check with the State Boards too. But I was wondering if anyone had ay info on this.

Jun 29, 09 2:10 pm
atsama

all the info is on the NY state website;

http://www.op.nysed.gov/archlic.htm

if you have more questions....call them. i had to get through a few menus/people, but i did reach someone who helped me. i havent started the process yet but on the website you shoudl find the answers you need. good luck!

Jun 29, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
pigeon

I have been in NYC studying and working (2/3 done with IDP) for 7 years and always assumed you had to finish IDP to begin taking exams.

I have always researched on the ncarb website which seems like you must complete IDP - http://www.ncarb.org/stateboards/regboards.asp?id=53

But it seems in the above nyc gov link you can apply to take the exam before completion of IDP. Has anyone done this in New York?

"
For candidates WITH a degree from an NAAB accredited program (BArch or MArch only)

Candidates must submit a New York State Application for Licensure (Form 1) and the appropriate fee for licensure and first registration to the New York State Education Department. Please indicate on your Form 1 that you wish to take the ARE concurrent with IDP.

Additionally, candidates must be enrolled in the IDP with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) and request that NCARB transmit a Record Summary to the New York State Board for Architecture. To enroll in the IDP, visit NCARBs' Web site at www.ncarb.org/
"

Jul 1, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

Pigeon- There are actually a number of states that allow IDP and ARE concurrently. They all have slightly different rules though. For example, Florida requires that you have at least 235 training units completed in IDP along with the appropriate degree. It is important check with state licensing board that you want to be licensed in because I found the NCARB web site did not have totally up to date information. I believe NY state passed the new rules about completing IDP and ARE concurrently in Oct 2008. Since my first post I called the NY state board and got the low down. So I have to fill out form 1, have NCARB submit my IDP record, pay NY state licensing fee which is $345!!!, and pay Prometric $170 for the exam. WOW...that's a lot of money. In FL the licensing fee is $60. But I guess I am in New York and everything is expensive. I'll post if I have problems with this process.

Jul 1, 09 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Young Architect

My NY friend is taking his first ARE in 2 weeks and is only halfway through his idp.

Just so you know,
Ncarb is raising the price of the ARES from $170 to $210
When you call to schedule your exam after october 1st you will pay $210.

Jul 1, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

Anyone recommend which test to go for first while completing or have just completed a b.arch?

Jul 1, 09 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

SullivanJ: regarding fees, I think maybe you're confusing a few things.
NY's $345 fee includes exam/registration processing AND your first three years of registration.
FL's $60 fee is just the fee for processing exams. The registration fee in FL is $125 biannually.
The ARE is $170 - soon to be $210 - for each of the 7 sections.
And then once you finish it, the NCARB annual dues (which you have to keep up forever if you want to be eligible for reciprocity in many states) are $190 per year.

Jul 4, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: