Archinect
anchor

handyman discussion forum: which one is most popular

cmrhm

Hi, guys:

I would like to go to a handyman discussion forum to post some questions. I wonder if anyone know the most popular site?

BTW, the question I am going to ask is regarding the wood floor and my bookcase. I just bought 2 big bookcase from IKEA. After I put them up along the wall, I found they aren't align with the wall. It seems the wood floor is not even. I know I need to screw a steel angle ( top of the bookcase) TO the stud. But is there anything else need to be done?If I put some shims on the bottom of the bookcase, will the trims put a permanent mark on the floor?

Your comments are appreciated.

Jun 29, 09 11:28 am
cmrhm

I don't just mean pro. handyman forum. Others like DIY or home improvement discussion forums are my consideration too.

Jun 29, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Which bookcases are they? Any images? Sounds like an adjustable hardware solution.

Jun 29, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

How I can post a image here? Do I need to find a site to host my image?

Jun 29, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just by some self-levelers and add them to the cases.... and make sure to mount them under a vertical piece and not a horizontal piece.....

Jun 29, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

80 grit: Thanks. I will check HD for it.

Jun 29, 09 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

CMHRM -- I asked about the specific shelves thinking about your floor-marking concerns. If you've got big shelves loaded up pretty well with books, etc., then the adjustable hardware -- "self levelers" -- will definitely leave a mark.

Jun 29, 09 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

K.J.: I know. It seems this is my only choice. Just checked HD, they have soft felt pad for the furniture. They might leave less mark in the future. But too compressible. I need to search online too. Do you still want pictures?

Jun 29, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

No, that's OK, CMRHM -- sometimes the leveling hardware is pretty noticeable, too, if the floors are really wacky. I've gone so far as to build a "pedestal base" for floor-standing units to get around all this. Works well for detail-less IKEA-like shelves, not so well for your Grandma's prized Chippendale.

Jun 29, 09 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

clear acrylic shims

you can always shim it then build some trim work on the bottom to hide the gaps.....

Jun 29, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

you can scribe the floor's profile onto some thin wood or plywood and cut out some custom shims - if they're just slightly less than the same width and depth of whatever parts of the shelving system touch the floor, and if you paint them black or another dark color, they tend to disappear visually. This only works well if the shelving has substantial contact with the floor - i.e. it won't work if the shelving rests on small "feet".

Jul 2, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thank you all for your wonderful help. I used HD acrylic shims to fix my bookcase. A task seemed very difficult to deal two days ago is done beautifully today. I can be proud of inviting my friends to come over my house now.

Have a good weekend.

Jul 3, 09 1:27 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Since this thread was resurrected I was wondering about the original topic.  Does anyone frequent any handyman/trade forums where they find value? Pick up helpful tips and tricks to design better?  Conversely, does anyone traffic or participate in any developer/client-driven forums they find valuable?  

Jun 30, 21 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: