Archinect
anchor

plastic flooring

MADianito

Anyone knows a good refference of the use of plastic flooring (this plastic flooring with a dots pattern in it), in any project??, any refference and/or image will be very apreciated!

Jun 19, 09 1:07 pm
liberty bell

MAD, do you meant this stuff, Roppe rubber tiles?

I know it's hard to keep clean, but I've never used it in a project of my own.

Jun 19, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if it's the stuff lb's talking about, subfloor prep is uber-critical. everything ends up telegraphing thru.

Jun 19, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah kind of, there are several brands, but yeah that kind of plastic/pvc circular pattern flooring..... i know there has to be some good/cool use of it in some projects... if im not wrong i might even be in one of it...but can't recall where and i do need the image to show a client how it could look.... :-/

It mught be hard to keep clean, but is way easy to wash, literally grab a kärcher hose and "SWOOOSH!!".... i dunno, if anyone has any refference...

thnx LB

Jun 19, 09 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yep JEFFE i know, we have that in consideration

Jun 19, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

mad, i have a feeling you are looking for rubber sports flooring;
http://www.rubbercal.com/elephant_bark.html
there are tons of different brands and i think price has came down over the years.

Jun 19, 09 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
crave

This stuff? lonseal
never used it but have samples of it...seems like it would be hard on the feet.

Jun 21, 09 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

The one you see in high profile public spaces is Pirelli, a rubber tile. The other big rubber brand is Nora although is seems Roppe often wins in a low-bid situation. Lonseal makes interesting patterns, but most of their products are PVC, which is environmentally questionable.

If you want the surface made from recycled tires, look for Ecosurfaces - we have used it indoors and out in CA, and it seems to work well, although it is not as maintenance-free as the solid rubber tile.

The architect that comes to mind when I think of that flooring is James Stirling - he was fond of lime green. See his gallery in Stuttgart not the best photo, but best of the first page of google images

Jun 22, 09 1:41 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

yep spruce.... that image is more or less, the kind of images+flooring im looking for, thanx, i would run couple of google searchs myself to see if there's something else that i can use....

Jun 22, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Sara Smile

I saw something like this stuff used in a vet clinic. It was good for the clawed animals as the floor offers give/traction to them.

But when it came to cleanup and odor it was a nightmare and when I went there last they only had it in one room, just for the dogs, all the other rooms were redone in heated bamboo flooring that's super easy to clean, and apparently doesn't wear out?

If there was a really in-expensive and recyclable solution that you could roll out and then replace when it became worn/dirty, that would be very interesting, but right now the price isn't that attractive and throwing out lots of recycled product seems counter-intuitive?

Just my 2 bits.. ;)

Aug 18, 10 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The responses it this thread were extremely useful given the technical nature of the question: plastic flooring with a dots pattern in it. ha!

The resilient tile flooring you are referring to is considered specialty flooring that has a very low smoke spread index, is used in stair exit corridors, or otherwise in areas with heavy wheeled traffic (forklifts). Using them in such conditions is well worth the extra cost. Using them in the way James Sterling does is.... unfortunate.

Aug 18, 10 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: