Archinect
anchor

SOP Advice, Addressing Readmission and Rejection

samwise

Hey guys,

Last year I was admitted to M.Arch programs a few great schools, and rejected from a few great ones as well. I'm having another go at reapplying after working another year- have any of you got advice on mentioning a previous application in your Statement of Purpose? I've already written my essays but I'm wondering whether to pop a sentence in stating the fact?

Cheers!

S

Dec 26, 13 5:31 am

I don't see why you'd mention that.  They'll have records of whether you applied last year or not.  Essays are typically limited in size so why waste space telling them what they already know?

Dec 26, 13 9:37 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I agree w/ HCMY.  Unless it's a really interesting part of your story (e.g., your personal or professional journey in the last 12 months), skip it altogether.

Dec 26, 13 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Why did you not take the admission at the few great schools that let you in?  I am of the belief that, unless the portfolio bumps up drastically, you may not luck out the following year with some schools, especially if they sense you rejected other schools.  On the other hand, they could look at it as tenacity.  Keep the essay the same.  Actually, have someone read it in conjunction with understanding a particular school's bent, unless you already feel you do.  I used the exact same statement of purpose and,  in hindsight, saw that it was clearly suitable for the gist of some programs and not so much for the gist of others.

Dec 26, 13 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
samwise

Thanks for the heads up! I've been seriously working on my portfolio to bump it up a level. I'm applying from Australia (as an Aussie) so it's hard to get first hand info on some of these things!

Dec 26, 13 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: